Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Availability of ATMs in Czech Republic and Spain?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 07:38 AM
sharon

Backpacking and don't want travel checks or much cash. Is it as easy to find ATMs in CR and Spain as it recently was in Italy and France?

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 08:21 AM
Art

Hi Sharon,
I can't vouch for Spain since I havn't been there, but am going in Sept and have heard here on the forum that they are everywhere. I was in the Czech Republic last fall and they were very easy to find. Your atm card should have Cirrus or Interbank on it. For example Star network is not over there.
Art

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Sjoerd

Spain has probably one of the highest ATM densities in the world. ATMs at literally every corner in the centers of cities, towns and larger villages.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:01 AM
Janet

Hi, Sharon. I agree with Art. We were in Prague and Czseky-Krumlov in the Czech Republic and Budapest Hungary last year. ATMs were everywhere - we never had to change money. We just walked up to the ATM and withdrew cash. I would recommend having two ATM Cards (from different banks) in case one doesn't work or the machine eats your card. I'd also recommend a Cirrus network card.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:04 AM
Brian in Atlanta

And I concur with Sjoerd. Had no problem finding Plus-network ATMs in Barcelona, Menorca or Madrid 3 years ago.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 09:42 AM
richardab

ATM's in Madrid are no problem with US issued cards.