Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Auvers sur Oise castle (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/auvers-sur-oise-castle-377508/)

skaf Jun 12th, 2008 01:50 AM

Auvers sur Oise castle

I would like to visit the Auvers sur Oise castle exhibition.
what is the easiest way to do it by public transportation?
my hotel is not far from st. Michel.
is it far from the castle to the other points of interest in the village ?
thank you. shula

StCirq Jun 12th, 2008 05:34 AM

You can take the RER to Auvers-sur-Oise. It takes about a half-hour. I'm sure a number of Fodorites can tell you the exact line to take.

The castle, and everything else in town, is easily accessible from the RER station, though to see it all you have to scramble up and over a few hillsides.

It's a great château, with a bunch of fabulous exhibits.

skaf Jun 12th, 2008 11:52 AM

thank you.

Christina Jun 12th, 2008 12:18 PM

The RER doesn't go the whole way, you have to take the RER line C to Pontoise, and then transfer to a local train to get to Auvers-sur-Oise. Of course, the RER runs all the time, and there are enough trains to Auvers, but I did have to wait about 45 minutes there when I went (probably late morning). In actuality, that train branches off towards Auvers at the stop before Pontoise (St Ouen l'Aumone), but there are two stops in a row with names beginning with St Ouen l
l'Aumone so one can become confused, and I think you might as well go to Pontoise. You don't save any time getting off earlier, as the train starts at Pontoise and if you get off at the wrong Aumone, you won't get to Auvers.

It takes longer than a half hour, especially if you have to wait at Pontoise a while for the next train. The RER to Pontoise takes almost an hour, I think, from central Paris (say Invalides).

There is plenty of information on the chateaux and train station, and how to get around town on the Auvers website, they have a good map and some walking tours.
http://www.auvers-sur-oise.com/

djkbooks Jun 12th, 2008 03:50 PM

You can also take the RER to Pontoise, then a bus to Auvers-sur-Oise.

There is no longer an RER station in Auvers-sur-Oise.

skaf Jun 12th, 2008 09:13 PM

thank you all.

ira Jun 13th, 2008 05:26 AM

Hi S,

You can get to AsO via Persan Beaumont or via Pontoise.

For the former, you leave from Gare du Nord - track 31. or the latter, you leave from Gare St. Lazare.

We took the 10:29 to PB and returned via Pontoise.

Buy your ticket at the St. Michel metro stop.

It's about 1:30 hr on the train.

Do not go on Monday or Tuesday. The museums related to Van Gogh's stay at AsO are closed.

You will walk uphill about 2km to the Chateau.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

skaf Jun 29th, 2008 01:39 AM

didn't go to Auvers after all. but found some more information for next time.

had an hotel in the Latin quarter near the islands this time (abbatial saint Germaine) . nice. no normal a/c.

next time back to Saint Germaine. (didn't really like the Bonaparte last year, but the location was the best).

thank you all

adrienne Jun 29th, 2008 03:32 AM

skaf - what didn't you like about the Bonaparte? I booked my brother there and he wasn't all that thrilled either but said the staff was great so it must have been the room. Interested in your opinion. Thanks!

skaf Jun 29th, 2008 04:45 AM

first - the location and staff are excellent. there is good a/c and even a refrigerator
but, the room is really gloomy and worn out.
you don't choose a room for the decor, still it is a place where you spend time for a few days.

I wish the Bonaprte would make some renovation.

ira Jun 29th, 2008 05:50 AM

Hi S,

>I wish the Bonaprte would make some renovation.

I am starting a "Bonaparte Renovation Fund".

Send me a contribution of $50 or more (US currency only).

As soon as I have collected $1,000,000. I shall send it to the Bonaparte for renovations.

((I))

Travelnut Jun 29th, 2008 07:06 AM

"I wish the Bonaprte would make some renovation"

.... and the rate hike that always goes with that?...

skaf Jun 29th, 2008 07:23 AM

you call it "wishfull thinking" don't you ?