Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Autumn Truffle Festivals in Piedmont (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/autumn-truffle-festivals-in-piedmont-444408/)

Sampaguita Oct 2nd, 2008 08:52 AM

Autumn Truffle Festivals in Piedmont

Its autumn again in Piedmont and the scent of white truffles are in the air. This year promises to be a good year for the prized “Tuber magnatum pico” as we have had a cool September and (a lot) more rain then last year. White truffles are been offered in Asti market at 2 euro a gram, which is relatively cheap.

Here is a list of this year’s Truffle festivals in Piedmont’s provinces of Asti (AT), Cuneo (CN), Alessandria (AL) and Torino (TO).

Festivals marked with an asterisk* are major Truffle Fairs (Fiere Nazionali) or Giornata del Tartufo, which indicate a big local festival day in which truffles are part of the whole event.

·Oct 4 to Nov 9th, every weekend, Alba* (CN) international truffle fair.
·Oct 5 - Montigliole Monferrato (AT)
·Oct 11 - Odalengo Piccolo (AL)
·Oct 12 - Montigliole Monferrato (AT); Odalengo Piccolo (AL); Bergamasco (AL); Castagnole Monferrato* vendemmia del nonno (AT).
·Oct 19 - Mombercelli (AT); Moncalvo* (AT); Tagliole Monferrato* Sapori d’autonno (AL)
·Oct 26 – Moncalvo* (AT); Incisa Scapaccino (AT); Trisobbio (AL); Brignano Frascata (AL); Sardigliano (AL); Bene Vagienna (CN).
·Oct 30 – Nov 2 - Mondovi (CN)
·Nov 2 - Montechiaro * (AT); Nizza Monferrato* Barbera & Cardo Gobbo(AT); San Damiano d'Asti(AT); Cella Monte (AL); Avolasca (AL); Serralunga di Crea (AL)
·Nov 7 – Nov 9 - Paroldo (CN)
·Nov 8 – Tortona (AL)
·Nov 9 –Canelli (AT); Costigliole d'Asti (AT); Alessandria (AL); Avolasca (AL); Rivalba (TO)
·Nov 16 - Asti* Cucina e Cantina (AT); Murisengo (AL)* San Sebastiano Curone* (AL); Villafranca d'Asti (AT)
·Nov 23 - Castelnuovo Don Bosco* (AT); Acqui Terme (AL); Montegrosso d’Asti; Ottiglio (AL)
·Nov 23 – Nov 30 - Vezza d’Alba* Vini del Roero (CN)
·Nov 29 – Nov 30 - Casale Monferrato (AL)
·Dec 7 - Cortazzone (AT); Santo Stephano Belbo (CN).
·Jan 27 – Scagnello – black truffle (CN)

bobthenavigator Oct 2nd, 2008 09:46 AM

Good info Tim---I can taste them now!

How was the Palio d' Asti this year?

travel2live2 Oct 2nd, 2008 11:01 AM

Fantastic - I will be missing it this year. I just love truffle festivals as well as truffle hunting! There is absolutely nothing that compares to the aroma and taste of white truffles.

ekscrunchy Oct 2nd, 2008 11:55 AM

I wish I could make it to San Sebastiano Curone for the fair on November 16! We just had a wonderful lunch there at Corona restaurant...both the town and the restaurant are highly recommended!

www.corona1702.com

kellyee21 Oct 2nd, 2008 09:47 PM

Thanks for this. Does anyone have anymore info for truffle hunting ? I am thinking of maybe going to the Alba festival this weekend, but havent found any info on their site for truffle hunting ( http://www.fieradeltartufo.org/en/Default.asp ). Any idea of cost ? I could go to any of these festivals so any info is appreciated.

Piedmont_Phil Oct 2nd, 2008 10:02 PM

Hi Kellyee, I am guessing you living in the area? Best bet is have a chat with one of the many agritourismo or hotels that are organising special truffle weekends (probably including Tim) throughout October in Piedmont. You may be able to tag along on an early morning truffle hunt for a modest fee.
On a less realistic note, Alba truffle fair have recreated a truffle wood as part of the event this year.

kellyee21 Oct 2nd, 2008 10:18 PM

Thanks Piedmont_Phil, actually I live in Nice, about 3 hours away. I may go for a weekend or if not a long day trip but I can be flexible, doesn't have to be this weekend. I'll try and find some hotel websites and see if they mention anything, thanks again !

Sampaguita Oct 3rd, 2008 04:26 AM

Hi Bob,

this years Palio was won by San Lazaro, the usual great show, however the Douja d'Or was much bigger this year with 3 tasting halls and over 700 wines to be tasted, and ran until last weekend (maybe they were out of wine), now the actions shifts to Alba for the Donkey race and the opening of the big truffle fair.

Kelly, try to contact the Alba tourism people, [email protected] I think they can organize a truffle hunt. But this weekend will be very crowded because of the Donkey Palio, if you come later the truffles get better (November is when the locals usually think about truffles) and IMO the smaller local festivals have more character.

Sampaguita Oct 3rd, 2008 04:26 AM

I forgot to add 2 other dates on the truffle calendar:

Nov 9 - Grinzano Cavour Castle, International Truffle Auction
Dec 7 - Grinzano Cavour Castle, White Truffle award.