Automatic Car Rentals in Italy

Old May 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Car Rentals in Italy

I just wanted to share this as I strufggle with it each year. Each year when I go to Europe, I need to get a rental car, but an automatic. Obviously this comes at a premium. I usually find a decent price, and it's usually not the same company consistently. This year, for Italy, I went through https://www.hertz.it and got the best rate. For a week it's about 248 E.

Now I need to find one for Spain! because the one I have booked gets absolutely HORRIBLE reviews.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- you tagged this for Italy, but it seems you are asking about Spain. Are you asking for recommendations for rental agencies or more just venting?

You've booked and the company gets bad reviews but don't tell us which one it is. Have you tried Autoeurope - a broker, not an actual rental agency. They often have the best deals -- but not always.
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:57 AM

If you go to Europe every year and this is a continuing problem, why don't you learn to drive a stick shift?
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

My intent was to tip off people that Hertz has good rates on automatic cars in Italy.

I am in the US and have called many driving schools and they do not teach this, nor do I have any friends with a stick.

I wasn't necessary looking for an answer to the Spain question, or I would have tagged it for Spain. But, the place I do have something reserved is GOLDCAR RENT A CAR.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:41 AM

If you are unhappy with the reviews of Gold Car I suggest yo use auto europe or kemwell in Spain.
Old May 15th, 2010, 09:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"I wasn't necessary looking for an answer to the Spain question, or I would have tagged it for Spain"

Okaaay (?), so you tagged it Italy. Guess I need my morning coffee . . . .
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:01 AM

I am reminded of why I am glad my parents made me learn to drive a manual transmission.

My car is a manual transmission so there's very little "adjustment" when I get to Europe or wherever besides figuring out where reverse is... (Why don't they standardize that )
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:12 AM

>GOLDCAR RENT A CAR.
Awful company, their car was o.k., (Alicante), but they never kept their promises. No refund on unused fuel, even though they claim they would. It was just a trick to get people to drive less. And of course in the fine print there's no talk of a refund. I heard the same story about Goldcar from other people too.

Hmmm, why not start a business to teach americans how to drive. Sounds like a good idea, so they won't be limited driving only "automatics" any longer.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:45 AM

I have rented from Goldcar on Mallorca (through AutoEurope) and had no problems at all. When a mirror was broken, they replaced it in 15 minutes at their depot at the airport with no charge and no argument.

Personally, I am not bothered about returning a car with fuel in it and not getting a refund. Worries about having enough fuel to get to the airport (especially on a Sunday), or trying to ensure it is returned full, matter much more.
Compared with the cost of the holiday, any loss I may make on fuel I have bought and not used is insignificant.

Stop looking for scams everywhere, and you will lead a happier life. Learn how to drive with a manual gearbox, and get used to the different ways of getting reverse. It may mean lifting (or depressing) a collar. The collar is there to stop you selecting reverse in error.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:50 AM

Is the Hertz rate of E248 all inclusive (VAT, theft insurance, unlimited mileage, etc.)? Does the car use unleaded gas or diesel? Did you compare the Hertz rate with AutoEurope or Kemwell?
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Just ingore when you're being scammed and pay whatever. .
That's one expensive philosophy.
Old May 15th, 2010, 11:57 AM

I need to rent an automatic in Italy as well and I am quite surprised that you got such a great rate at Hertz! Please let us know if it is all inclusive. Did you book on their site? Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Hertz.it is cheaper if you select Italy as your country (I saw prices for as little as 178€ per week). If you select another country in Europe the prices will be higher (UK is higher than Spain/France). If you select the US, the price will be about $440.

>>>Is the Hertz rate of E248 all inclusive (VAT, theft insurance, unlimited mileage, etc.)
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM

I thought this was too good to be true--for me.

For my dates (Sunday to Sunday, in September) and my location (Brindisi airport), the charge for an automatic on the Hertz.it site is 470 euro. The category is "R."

Amazing that the price is almost double the one quoted by the OP. Can location alone account for the discrepancy?
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hmmmm but did you chose your country as Italy? I did that actually by mistake. And as someone else mentioned, that gets a cheaper rate for some reason. Hopefully there won't be an issue with the charge to my credit card... it went through at the time and I did get a voucher. The vehicle type is I, a Ford Fiesta or similar.
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes and as someone mentioned, it includes quite a bit, here's from my voucher:

Rate is Guaranteed
Base Amount:
1 week Unlimited Free Kilometers Included

INCLUSIVE ITEMS:
Location Service Charge
Collision Damage Waiver
Theft Protection
Vehicle licensing fee and road tax

Total Approx. Charges: 246.86 EUR
Old May 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM

So you're taking the CDW rather than using your Visa to cover this. What is the deductible on the CDW?
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM

I thought Italy was one of the countries where your Visa WON'T cover and CDW is required?
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Returned last night from two weeks in Europe...one in Alsace, one in Bavaria...rented an automatic from Avis for $900...expensive, yes, but worth not stressing about trying to drive a stick after 30 years....US as opposed to Europe is all automatic and even if you choose standard it is a different transmision...I would not want to travel the Amalfi Coast (my yearly destination with a standard)...parking spaces and small roads would (to me) be a hassle with a standard....we rented out of Frankfurt and the car had a GPS system....we used it every day on our day trips.....auto?...sure a little more, but in my opinion well worth it..mike
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM

>

I am sure there are many different brands of transmissions in the US.

Do you mean the gear box is different? Only in reverse. All going forward gears are in the same position in Italy as in the US. They're also in the same position in Malta, England, Scotland, France, Czech Republic, Portugal, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information