autoeuropes hours on Sat's in Tuscany

Nov 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

autoeuropes hours on Sat's in Tuscany

Does anyone know if autoeurope works with you on Sat. pickups in the afternoon? It seems like their offices in Tuscany close around 12:30 (ie Siena, Chiusi).
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Anyone? I'm running into a huge snag coordinating traveling and getting into Tuscany and getting the rental car and getting to the villa on time. Thanks.
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:23 PM

AutoEurope's only offices are in Portland, Maine. They are a broker and contract with Avis, Hertz, Europcar, etc. Call them directly with your questions - their customer service is outstanding.

Stu Dudley
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM

I'm afraid this isn't much help - but we had to arrange our travel around the rental car hours in both Orvieto on one trip and Chiusi on another trip. (I know that's not what you wanted to hear!)
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM

It's very typical for auto rental outfits to be closed for a couple of hours mid-day in many countries of Europe, Italy included.

But no one here can tell you specifically what the hours of a particular car rental company are in any given Italian city/town.

As mentioned, AutoEurope isn't a car rental company, but a broker. Call them and ask (1-800-223-5555).
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Hi
Autoeurope is a wholesaler that works with different rental cos. If you rented through them It should state on your confirmation whom they are dealing with in Tuscany. Is it possible your thinking Eurocar, which is a rental co?
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Hi
It's Europcar, that I meant. Sorry.
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Try for four?
Nov 18th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Absolutkz:

Why is knowing the hours a problem? When you select a pick-up and drop-off location (after having entered the dates) the agency hours are clearly listed.
Not sure why you would have to call anyone to find out that info.
Nov 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

It does state the hours, and that's why I asked. It doesn't make sense that the locations in the smaller towns close at 12:30 on a Sat., especially with them knowing that villa rentals start/end on a Sat. I thought I had read somewhere on this site that in dealing with AutoEurope, you can make a request for a later pick-up.My question was in regards to other people's experience, and like dorkforcemon said, they had to work around their posted hours.
Nov 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Consider picking up the car in a larger city that is close to where you are staying - like Perugia, Florence, or Orvieto.

Stu Dudley
Nov 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Stu- that's what I'm considering. I was trying to avoid having to drive near a city. I'm thinking of picking-up in Rome and dropping off in Florence. That being said, what's the easiest rental car location in Rome as far as getting onto the autostrada? (flying into fiumicino). And florence - the aiport location? Thanks.
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:34 AM

There are cities and there are cities. Perugia, Florence, and especially Orvieto are nothing like Rome. Orvieto is actually very easy - if they are open after lunch. The train station & car rental places are not in town, but are very close to the freeway below town. It's less than 1 hr to Montepulciano from Orvieto. In June, I'm planning on taking the morning train to Orvieto, stuffing the bags in the rental car, and then visit Orvieto before heading off to San Quirico in Tuscany.

If you pick up the car early in the morning on a Saturday, Rome is difficult, but not impossible to drive out of. We had this dilemma a few years ago. I looked up all the possible pick-up spots in Rome - hoping to find one on the outskirts close to a freeway entrance. Most of them opened at 9:00 or later (some may even be closed on a Sat). The rental office at the train station opened at 8:00 - and that's where I decided to pick up the car. However, I was heading south, and you are heading north - I remember it being easier if you head south from the Termini station.

Note that there are extra charges for picking up a car at an airport. I'm assuming you will be in Rome for a couple of days before picking up the car. If not, and you are actually arriving in Rome & heading directly to Tuscany from there, I would pick up the car at the airport. Traffic is lighter on a non-workday around. It's 2 1/2 hrs to Montepulciano from there.

Call AutoEurope on Monday once you have done some research. They may have some additional ideas.

Stu Dudley
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu, this is the advice I need. Not visiting Rome, just flying into, tentative plans of Sat afternoon. Call me crazy, but why am I not seeing Orvieto on the drop down list on autoeuropes website?
Nov 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM

If you are not visiting Rome, I would pick up the car at the airport. It won't be a adifficlut drive at all on a Saturday. Taking transportation into the Rome train station & then catching the train to Orvieto would cost some precious time & money.

If you still want to pick up the car in Orvieto, call AutoEurope on Monday (phones may be manned today). I've pehapps rented 40 cars from AutoEurope and I ALWAYS call instead of renting on-line. Ask if they are running any "specials" or what discounts they might have (AARP, AAA).

Stu Dudley
Nov 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM

If arriving by plane, pick up the car at the airport and go up the coast to avoid Rome. You can cut inland at Tarquinia (I recommend its museum and Etruscan tombs) and then toward Viterbo and Orvieto.
Nov 19th, 2005, 07:32 PM

It's very easy to pick up the car at the Rome airport. FCO, I assume?
I've driven from FCO north to Venice, to Tuscany, south to Naples, and to Amalfi. I've never gotten lost as roads are well marked. Just have a map and ask the rental agency for directions to the road you need to take. I think it's the A2 to everything, if I recall.
Don't worry, it's very simple.
This is all much more doable than going in to Termini and taking a train and getting the car in Florence.
Although, I have picked up a car in the city centre of Florence and had no difficulty in getting out of the city, either.
Nov 21st, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. If I can get to the highway easily, then I"ll chance it. It makes much more sense than getting to termini and taking a train and then backtracking with a car. I'll just have to tell my mom to sit in the back seat, close her eyes and be quiet.