Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AutoEurope won't allow pickup in Venice, dropoff in Orvieto?

Feb 4th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I've been advised on this site to pick up my rental in Venice, drop it in Orvieto after touring tuscany and train to rome.

When I try this combination on AutoEurope, I get the message "Cars from the pick-up location you selected cannot be returned to the drop-off location you selected. Please choose a new drop-off location from the list shown below."

Any ideas?

Feb 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Try calling AutoEurope. There's a toll free number listed at the bottom of their site.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Yes, call them 1-800-223-5555.
You will notice several locations in Venice for pickup. This is because AutoEurope uses several different vendors. It may be that the particular company whose pickup location you selected doesn't have a drop-off in Orvieto. In any case, when you call they'll be able to tell you if you can do it or not.

Indidentally, while their website is good for general estimates, it's always a good idea to call them to book. One thing they will do is check for alternative locations within the same city (different vendors) and tell you which one has the best price. I invariably get a better price when I call than I get on the website.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'll call.

Can you answer one more question -- I've read that diesel is the way to go for better mileage, and that "most" rentals are diesel. Is that true? Do I need to specify?

Thanks again.
Feb 4th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Gee, I sure wouldn't say "most" are diesel. Yes, you will get cheaper fuel and far better mileage with a diesel car, but they usually tend to cost more, so unless you're doing a lot of driving it may not be worth it. Again, they will probably be able to advise you on the phone.

Feb 4th, 2004, 01:28 PM

When I tried to rent a car online to be picked up and dropped off in Orvieto, the Autoeurope site wouldn't let me do it. No problem when I called. So maybe the Orvieto location is gumming up the works for you as well.

I've never had a diesel car in Europe.