Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Auto travel from Venice to Split, Croatia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/auto-travel-from-venice-to-split-croatia-789098/)

makarska1997 Jun 9th, 2009 12:42 PM

Auto travel from Venice to Split, Croatia

We are a family of 4 from Toronto travelling to Split Croatia for holidays in August. Since most of the cruise ships leave from Venice, airfare from Toronto to Venice is very inexpensive - at least 35 % cheaper than from Toronto to Split. For four it adds up!

We are interested in flying to Venice and renting a car and driving it to Split. Last summer we did this but encountered very large volumes of traffic for almost the entire journey. Also, there were a number of tunnels under construction in Croatia as well. Is the volume of traffic still an issue? Are there off-peak hours/days when you can avoid this traffic? I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Steve_James Jun 10th, 2009 12:58 AM

Hi Mak - August is peak holiday season, so traffic is unavoidable.

Heavy traffic is unavoidable at weekends. Your best chance of reducing the problem is to travel Mon-Thur. Good luck ...

Steve

Alec Jun 10th, 2009 01:35 AM

Or take a ferry from Venice to Istria, and rent a car from there.
http://www.venezialines.com/eng/index.asp
One-way fare is around 70 euro per head including all suppls. This still leaves a long drive along the Dalmatian coast (choked with traffic!)
Alternatively, take a train to Ancona and ferry from there to Split. There are at least three companies competing for custom, the fastest being on hydrofoil in 3.5 hours. The train to Ancona takes around 4 hours via Bologna and costs around 40 euro.

makarska1997 Jun 10th, 2009 04:09 AM

Thanks for your note. Do you know if the tunnels that were under construction last year and down to one lane have been completed?

makarska1997 Jun 10th, 2009 04:11 AM

Alex, very interesting idea about hydrofoil from Ancona to Split. I haven't had any luck finding information on that service. Do you know who the service provider is? Thanks for your assistance!

GeoffHamer Jun 10th, 2009 05:16 AM

It isn't a hydrofoil. It's a fast catamaran run by SNAV (www.snav.it) in the peak summer. It leaves Ancona in the morning and gets to Split in the afternoon.
The ships from Ancona to Split (www.blueline-ferries.com and www.jadrolinija.hr) sail overnight so you actually waste less time. You spend the night sleeping in your cabin and arrive in Split with a day ahead of you.

kennedyusa058 Jun 18th, 2009 07:57 PM

Thanks for sharing. it's great.

pret auto

makarska1997 Jun 19th, 2009 02:58 PM

GeoffHamer, thanks. We may fly to Bologna on Air France and take our time to the fast ferry SNAV to Split. Airfare for the family more live $2,600 CDN rather than $5,000 CDN Toronto to Split. Some great sites to see on the way as well

makarska1997 Jun 27th, 2009 06:09 AM

GeoffHamer, We are going through Bologna and are trying to make arrangements through www.blueline-ferries.com but the website won't let us make arrangements? Says not a valid intinerary. Know any secrets to booking from North American? Thanks

GeoffHamer Jun 28th, 2009 03:07 AM

I live in London so have no experience of booking from America. I've just tried to use Blue Line's booking system and got an error before I even get to choose accommodation - I hadn't chosen a tariff. Eventually, I got to choose accommodation, but didn't go on to the payment stage.
When I've used Blue Line, I've bought tickets at the port, but that wasn't in peak season.
I have in the past made on-line bookings for Jadrolinija's sailings from Ancona via their agents, Amatori (www.amatori.com).

uaz04 Jun 29th, 2009 07:06 AM

If you are still wondering about the traffic and tunnels, I can put your mind at ease...don't drive. I drive to and from Istria every weekend and can tell you that, even though much work farther south has been completed, Rijeka is now under heavy construction and there are always long delays. It is no better these days through Ljubljana either, with more roadworks.
Take the boat and enjoy the trip!
I've traveled with my car on the ferry several times from Ancona to Split - never with an reservation in advance, always arrived shortly before sailing time, and never denied a place. Of course, if you can book ahead do it...but I usually prefer to follow nice weather.

makarska1997 Jul 1st, 2009 06:43 AM

uaz04, Thanks for your comments. We were wondering about auto travel, but your note ended that thought. The ferry looked pretty good but we found it difficult and expensive to rent a car to take over from Italy. Most companies do not permit their cars on ferries. Looks like our optimum solution to date is to head over to Split via EasyJet in Milan or Croatian Airlines out of Roma. Thanks for you input!

gjayson Jul 21st, 2009 10:11 AM

Hi! Reading your forum and questions and having the exact same experience trying to travel from Italy to Croatia. My father and I are starting in Venice and trying to make our way to Hvar/Split. When we try to book ourselves on the Ancona overnight ferry, the site does not allow us to make a purchase or reservation. Is it possible to buy a ticket for the ferry at port during a weekend high season???
Wondering what you discovered or ended up doing? Thank you in advance! Gillian

makarska1997 Jul 22nd, 2009 03:55 PM

GJayson,
We got pretty frustrated with the ferry timing and internet site. We ended up booking return flights from Rome to Split on Croatian Airlines. One hour flight and we are there. I think we paid 450 Euros each. Good luck!

adaon Jun 27th, 2012 07:29 AM

Hi,

Did anyone rented a car from Venice and drove abroad to Croatia? I am planning to rent a car in Venice and drive to Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and maybe also Greece and then back to Venice to drop off the car. But i am worried I might get in trouble with the Car rental company. I heard they are picky if you want to drive abroad.