Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Auto rental difficulties by those age 70 and over...

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 02:57 PM
Al

My sister reports having read something in her local newspaper to the effect that persons age 70 and over have a very difficult time renting a car in Europe. That certainly has not been our experience, but I thought I would ask Fodorites if they can confirm or dispute this. Please?

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 04:34 PM
wes fowler

Al,
I copied the following from a website underwritten by Renault that has a wealth of information for drivers in Europe. Go to www.ideamere.com/motoeuropa/index.html, click on "Online guide" in the left frame and then on "rentals".

"Before you begin contacting rental companies, you should consider several issues apart from insurance. First, note that your age may limit your ability to rent a vehicle. All rental companies require their customers to be of some minimum age—usually either 21, 23, or
25 years. Also, many companies deal only with persons who have held a driver's license for at least a year or two. As for the other end of the age- spectrum, most companies enforce a maximum age limit of 65 or 70 years. Some companies, however, override such restrictions if the customer in question can demonstrate his or her driving proficiency to an agent at the delivery site. If because of your age or the age of your license you don't make the cut, don't take it personally. Instead, consider leasing a vehicle: anyone eighteen years of age and up can lease a vehicle in Europe for as few as sixteen days.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:37 PM
chippy

So glad that someone thought to bring this up on Fodor's. We should have thought to -- after our experience two years ago. I'd gone thru all the hoops, renting a car at autoeurope...and although i did the net-searching/cotracting...my spouse's name was as The Renter. Come to find out, at the rental desk....autoeuropre contracts EXCLUDE those over a certain age (70?). And while I may be nearly a fortnite younger (and shapely and sexy...and...oh fergiddabout it!)..the spouse was the far better, more confident European/UK driver. Fortunately
we were just handed off to the Avis desk next door and got a rental with no additional charge...but it IS a question to be asked, that we often don't think about.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 08:23 PM
Al

Further developments, friends. Since I could not bring up the web site suggested by Wes Fowler above, I took the bull by the horns and e-mailed AutoEurope's customer service desk directly this evening. In a flash, I got an e-mail back from Europe saying they would refer this question to a customer service manager. Within half an hour, I got an e-mail from their U.S. desk! It seems they have a company they book cars for in England who has some age restrictions on us older folks, so they just shift this business to another of their providers. In Ireland, the problem of age of drivers is more widespread. But all other countries should pose no problems on this count, their manager said. Three cheers for AutoEurope and their quick customer service communications!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:54 PM
Topper

To the top

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:11 AM
topper