Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Auto insurance to cover liability question

May 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

I know all about renting a car & using masterCard's CDW, but I am concerned about what happens if I damage another car or the other party has injuries. Can I purchase insurance to cover me & would it be cheaper to do this with someone other than the rental company? Thanks
May 18th, 2007, 03:09 PM

If it's in EU, the law stipulates that the rental car comes with liability insurance (third party insurance), usually for unlimited amount. So it's included in the rental cost.
May 18th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

So, if I have coverage from mastercard for CDW then I don't need to worry about more insurance? Just want to make sure because it will be my first time driving in France. Survived Ireland, so I think I can drive anywhere! DH isn't so sure.
May 18th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Sparks, you are right to be concerned about this! I just got back from 2 weeks of driving in Normandy, and wouldn't you know I had an accident 2 days before turning in the car! Not a
bad accident, and no one else was involved, but I scraped the side of car. I just looked online at my Visa statement, and that charge is $3300 (I hope that includes the car rental charges, too!). I had taken out travel insurance with Access America (it covers $25,000 for auto problems. They sent me a claim form (very short) which I sent back to them a couple of days ago. They said they would handle everything with Avis and reimburse me.
I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

I also got in touch with Citibank Visa and they sent me a much more involved claim form, where I have to do all the work. It sounds like Access America is much easier to deal with, and I'm not going to bother with Citibank if I don't have to. I had actually bought this policy in case of medical problems, and now I'm glad I did. But, I'll let you know when they pay me!
May 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Sparks-

Just be sure when you rent the car that you decline all forms of CDW that either the car rental company or the broker offer ( and that it is not included in either rate somehow) and you should be fine. IMO, buying supplementary insurance is overkill.

Rick