Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Authentic restaurants in: Vienna**Munich**Vienna**Lugano**Zermatt**Interlake n**Lucerne

Search

Authentic restaurants in: Vienna**Munich**Vienna**Lugano**Zermatt**Interlake n**Lucerne

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 07:08 AM
Sue

I will only have 1-2 days in these areas so when I do eat at a restaurant I would like it to be 1 of the best for that area. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 07:26 AM
Nicole

Sue, <BR>I can make a recommendation for an authentic restaurant in Zermatt -- called Cafe Dupont. It is the oldest restaurant in Zermatt and is very casual and rustic. When there, you must eat the cheese fondue -- a very authentic Swiss meal, and this cafe makes the best I've ever had. I can't remember exactly where it's located, but you'll find it -- I think it's near the big church on the main street of Zermatt (head from the train station towards the Matterhorn and you'll come across it). Have a great time in Zermatt -- it's one of my favorite towns in Europe. By the way, if you'd like to see photos of our trip there last year, go to www.lunadesigns.com/travels/.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 06:03 PM
sue

I just was told about Niky's Kuchlmofterei in Vienna. Has anyone heard of Figlmuller in Vienna for the best wiener schnitzel? <BR> <BR>I need some more suggestions for the other sights...please help...thanx <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 12:14 PM
Sue

Just bringing this back up to the top to hopefully get more responses. <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 09:14 AM
Sue

Thank you, Nicole for the suggestion for Zermatt and Glenn who emailed me directly...I will definately go to those places. What about Lucerne, Interlaken or Lugano? Thank you! <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 11:29 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Sue <BR>Here are my choices: <BR>Wien - Lunch of weinerschnitzle and a green salad at the Sacher Hotel Grill Room. <BR>Lugano - a whole fish prepared Italian style at the Sayonara Rist., in the Pza Cioccaro. <BR>Zermatt - Bratwurst and Rosti at the Bahnhof restuarant with Beer... <BR>Interlaken - Sunday brunch at the Grill Room of the Victoria-Jungfrau Hotel or <BR>a candelight dinner at its. La Terrasse <BR>restuarant. <BR>and Finally Luzern <BR>lunch or dinner at the grill room of the Hotel Wilden Mann or dinner at the Italian ristorante, Padrino in the National hotel. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il.... <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 08:35 AM
Bill

In Munich,for a small and unique restaurant that is 99% locals try the Weinhansl located on Weinerplatz which is a short taxi ride from from the old center (Marianplatz). Normal Prices. A much larger restaurant is right next door with a huge beer garden. It is the Hofbrauhaus Keller (not to be confused with the touristy Hofbrauhaus). If you want to stay near to Marienplatz, try the Rathskeller in the basement of the Rathaus( of Glockenspeil fame). Or about 200 meters from the Rathaus is the restaurant Nurenberger. It is casual and very popular with the locals <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 11:45 PM
Tracy

Vienna suggestions: Salm Brau - 3rd district by the Lower Belvedere - good beer and Austrian/Viennese food. Call for a reservation. Figimuller's is typical tourist - one located in the 1st district and one in the 19th district - large schnitzel but expect to be rushed as in the states. Typical Viennese dining is slow and relaxed. Try a Heurigen restaurant in the 19th District such as Mayer am Pfarrplatz. One of my favorites is Oppolzer's on Himmelstrasse 22. Grandma makes the best apfel strudel! <BR>Mayer

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 09:43 AM
sue

Tracy-- <BR>Thank you for your suggestions! Do you live in Vienna? I noticed your overseas email address... <BR>

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 12:40 PM
Tracy

Sue, yes I live in Vienna. Its a beautiful city. Bit chilly and rainy now.