Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Authentic, non-touristy specialty Catalan, or other Spanish cuisine for under $10E in Barcelona? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/authentic-non-touristy-specialty-catalan-or-other-spanish-cuisine-for-under-10e-in-barcelona-745874/)

sandy456 Oct 31st, 2007 12:24 PM

Authentic, non-touristy specialty Catalan, or other Spanish cuisine for under $10E in Barcelona?

Authentic, non-touristy specialty Catalan, or other Spanish cuisine for under $10E in Barcelona?

I'm looking for a list of recommended restaurants, cafes, hole in the walls, and tapas bars serving authentic, specialty cuisine for a low, reasonable price. 10Euro is the cut off price. Remember, I'm not including drinks. 10Euro just for appetizers, entrees, and/or deserts. OK, where are these probably extreamly popular restaurants, and what dishes do you recommend? Thanks in advane for your suggestions.

kenderina Oct 31st, 2007 12:50 PM

Sandy, I live in Castellon here in Spain, which is a medium sized city, and the bars of my neighbourhood do menus for 12 euro, so I doubt very much you can find a meal in Barcelona for that price :)

Anyway, if you try for neighbourhoods out of the city center maybe you will be lucky !

Peter_krynicki Nov 1st, 2007 07:07 AM

-Kiosko Universale. One morning while walking through the Boqueria, the big covered food market off La Rambla, we watched people eating breakfast here and decided to go back, and this is where we started to fall into a more Catalan mode of eating.

One mornng we had

-two cafe con leche (1.20e each)
-two fired eggs (2.50e) just so that we had something to go with the five, fresh sausage links that they grill for you right there (3.60e) And natually what is sausage and eggs without patatas bravas (2.50e). And, just like everyone else who was having a late breakfast, we had a cerzeza (1.50e) Total...12.50e, about $15.00.

On a second visit we had

-two cafe con leche (1.20e each)
-a big slice of the spinch tortilla, which is more like quiche, (5.00e) and a plate of another kind of sausage (2.50e). But this time we finished with two cervezas (1.75e each). I don't know why there was a difference.

Leave out the beer and you're in. I wouldn't!

Pjk

Aduchamp1 Nov 1st, 2007 07:23 AM

There was a place in Barcelona back in 1972 where you got seven courses for $1.25. If I remember correctly one course was the napkin.

Ackislander Nov 1st, 2007 08:30 AM

You could probably get 4-5 tapa plates for that amount at Txappela or Tapa Tapa on (IIRC) Passeig de Gracia, but be warned that these are big, brassy places, not tiny quaint caves. However, they are full of locals.

Pvoyageuse Nov 1st, 2007 08:36 AM

Under €10? that's going to be very difficult. I live a few miles from the Spanish border and the cheapest place I've been able to find (and it's not Barcelona) is a menu for €8. The cafeteria at the big shopping mall I usually go has a menu at €9.
Good luck if you find cheaper in Barcelona.

Nikki Nov 1st, 2007 08:51 AM

Aduchamp, was that you at the next table in 1972?

Aduchamp1 Nov 1st, 2007 10:08 AM

Aduchamp, was that you at the next table in 1972?

Good to see you again Nikki.

wondering Nov 1st, 2007 10:57 AM

The only way this fits your question is that it is under 10Euro and is in Barcelona. Additionally, it is absolutely wonderful... Cafe Viena off La Rambla has the world's best sandwich, according to the NYTimes food critic Mark Bittman (I think that is his name)The ham and bread are to die for. I went as a skeptic and left a believer. (That was just two days ago)

traveller1959 Nov 1st, 2007 12:06 PM

Cuines Santa Caterina in Mercato Santa Caterina.

sandy456 Nov 2nd, 2007 01:40 AM

The "travel bar", in a small calle (called Boquiera, I think (not the market) has 1euro dinners (at 8pm nightly).

Usually, they expect you to buy a beeer (as it is a bar), but the food (sometimes pasta) costs only a Euro.