Notices

Austrian trip planning

Apr 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Austrian trip planning

We are three adults planning a September trip to Austria, who want a combination of enjoying natural wonders with moderate hiking AND interesting towns with shopping. We'd love to hear people's thoughts on visiting the Ziller Valley at that time of year, Leichtenstein Klamm, Golling, and also find out about biking along the Danube just for a couple hours rather than a tour that lasts for 3 or more days. If we have 10 to 12 days, what would be the best way to take in the "best of Austria"?
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Hi,

Depends where you plan to fly into/out of. How do you prefer getting around... car or public transportation?

Me, I'd fly into/out of Munich. The Zillertal is spectacular. We stayed there in Sept. '09.

My plan would go like this (I won't include the Danube as I've never been):

Arrive at and rent a car from Munich airport and drive the 2.5 hours to the Salzburg area for 3 nights. We prefer staying 20 min. or so outside Salzburg in Ramsau, Germany (Berchtesgaden area). Visits could include Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, Konigsee, Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest), salt mine tours, Jennerbahn cable car, Bad Reichenhall, etc., etc.

Drive to Zell am See for 3 nights (visit Liechenstein Klamm from here). Take a lake cruise or rent your "own" electric boat to sightsee on the lake. We loved renting the electric boat. Include a drive over the spectacular Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse.

Drive to the Zillerall (via the Gerlos Pass) and stay for 3 nights. The "deeper" into the Zillertal, the more spectacular the scenery, meaning go at least as far as Mayrhofen. We stayed above Mayrhofen in Finkenberg. Amazing. The Zillertal valley is only about a 40 or so min. drive long.

If you have an extra night before needing to leave Munich airport, spend a night along the way in Mittenwald, Germany or add it to one of the other areas.

Just some ideas.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Apr 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Have you considered an " Open Jaw " flight ticket - arriving in one city - example Munich and departing from another like Vienna. This saves much time not having to re- trace your routing - often not more costly either.

This also allows an easy transfer Munich - Salzburg by train . The area of salzburg is grest for sightseeing - no need to rent an auto until you leave- no need either to drive when jet lagged after arriving.
Explore the Bayern Ticket transfer from Munich Airport to Salzburg

29 euro for 2- 5 persons using regional trains after 9 AM a bargain.

Picking up the auto in Salzburg and dropping off in Vienna - no drop off fee usually either.

The Zillertal in Septemnber can be great.

I find it usually has some good weather - fewer tourists in September as schools have resumed.
Some mountain lifts still working so easy access to higher areas if you wish more views and scenery.

Salzburg - Zillertal is 2 hours drive . take the autobahn route one way and the mountain route via Gerlos on return - great scenery.

Some festivals occur in September there too-
The Almabtrieb - the return of the cows from summer pastures in the mountains to their winter barns-
Big parades, cows well decorated - food and drink pls music.

Great scenery in the Zillertal- good hiking - at the end of the vaslley the Hintertux Glacier

www.mayrhofen.at

www.naturpark-zillertsl.at

The Danube - Wachau area is a fine place for a visit.

The Melk Abbey

www.stiftmelk.at

just off the autobahn coming from Salzburg.

Septembe rin the Wachau will be grape picking time for wine making - a great time to vist .

Excelent bike pathways on both sides of the river- well marked , paved and mostly just dedicated for bikes.

a easy rental program Leihradl allows pick up at one place drop off at another .
www.leihradl.at
cheap too.

Dürnstein - a must see too

www.duernstein.at

time in each place up to your desires and Likes/ dislikes - Vienna alone - needs 3days or more-

rop of f your rental upon arrival and rely on the city transport system.

Both Salzburg and Vienna are very compact places for tourists.

Search this Thread