Iceland first time!

Search

Iceland first time!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland first time!

Considering flying to Iceland for the first time in September for a week.

Can you suggest an itinerary for a week and whether to choose Delta or Icelandic Air as the carrier from NYC.

My wife is an avid photographer and a vegetarian. We are a Senior couple ( only in age) and like to hike/walk, see magnificent and interesting sights and of course enjoy our glass of wine each evening.
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4 days in and around Reykavik (take one of the small company Golden Circle tours) gets you some idea of the live chat from the guide and maybe 4 sites during the day. Go to a bunch of spas, up the cathedral, walk around town and down to the market, possible whale watching for a day.

Fly up to Akureyi for the other 2 nights, a bit of gentle hiking, spa etc.

Vegis, the subject is understood by the locals (but generally limited), last time I was there there were two restaurants in R. But you need to check tripadvisor to see what is running.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Buy your wine at duty free before you leave Keflavik. Liquor stores aren't open long hours and wine is heavily taxed, so it's much cheaper in duty free.

I flew Icelandair from Denver and we got 2 pieces of checked luggage for free. That might be something to consider, because I'm guessing Delta charges for luggage.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 12:09 PM

The best scenery during my 10 day trip in March was on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and along the south and southeast coast. I did spend two days in Akureyri and the Lake Myvatn area, but preferred Snaefellsnes and the south and southeast coast, especially for photography.

I'd move the two nights to the south/southeast coast - you can rent a car, or go on a tour. You get a wide variety of spectacular waterfalls - Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Svartifoss among them - plus the super cool Jokulsarlon glacial lagoon and hiking at Skaftafell.

And I would definitely do the daytrip to the Golden Circle and probably one as well to Snaefellsnes. In fact, if I were to do my trip over, I would have spent a night on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, that's how much I enjoyed my time there.
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 11:47 AM

I'm in Reykjavik now. Flew Icelandair from Dulles. Yes, 2 free checked bags if you want. Flight was on time leaving Dulles, flight attendants were very conscientious before takeoff in seeing that seats were not reclined, etc. In economy you have to buy your food and no meal service but complimentary sodas, coffee, etc., and they give everyone a bottle of water upon entering the aircraft.

I would fly Icelandair again.

Going on Golden Circle tour tomorrow and then on to Paris the next day.
Enjoy your planning!
Old Aug 1st, 2015, 04:18 PM

Actually, one week in Iceland is not enough but if you can't afford more time I would recommend such places:

1. Geysir - the highest geyser in Iceland
2. Vatnajokull glacier - unbelievable amount of ice, hiking is possible. There are many tours around glacier.
3. Puffins - these birds are so amazing and photogenic(but they live iceland at the second half of August, so I think if you come in September you will not find them, unfortunatelly)
4. Dettifoss - great waterfall
5. Namafjall - geothermal area
6. Husavik - one of the best place in the world to witness whales

I am writing a travel blog about my trip to Iceland day by day here http://www.my-travel-experience.com/...d_for_15_days/, I assume it will be interesting for you too.