Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Austria Germany help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/austria-germany-help-361853/)

girlonthego Sep 28th, 2003 08:39 AM

Austria Germany help!

Hi We are beginning to plan a trip to Aus/Germany for this June. We are a family of four-2 adults/2 children. Can we all stay in one hotel room? The kids are 10 and 11.I see that most hotels have twin beds and not doubles.I would rather not have my children alone in a room.
We are thinking of flying into Munich, renting a car and traveling through Austria. My husband has relatives there that we will visit for a few days(Austria). When do I try to get the flights. Right now, the flights are 1200 dollars for June.We are coming from Richmond VA. We can drive up to Washington if there is a deal, but that is a two hour drive. Also, we have Hilton miles. Can anyone tell me if they have stayed at Hiltons in either country? Our trip is to be about 2 weeks in length. Any info. would be helpful. We are thinking Munich, Salzburg, (maybe-Innsbruck?), and Vienna. The relatives live near the Hungarian border. So, we may take a day trip to Budapest. I know it is a lot of traveling. What do you think fodorites?

cparris Sep 28th, 2003 08:44 AM

Some of the hotels have family type rooms which are larger. We stayed in a couple places that had 2 rooms and a bathroom which were connected...like a small apartment. (one in Hallstadt and the other in Alpbach) At the hilton in Innsbruck we had 2 adjacent rooms with connecting door.The hilton in Innsbruck had 2 larger beds(in each room) which should be fine for you. You may want a mixture so sometimes you get alittle more privacy

Budman Sep 28th, 2003 08:56 AM

Here's a place we stayed a couple of years ago in Austria. It is an apartment with 2 bedrooms & 2 full baths, reasonably priced. We based ourselves there and took day trips. It is about a 20-25 min drive into Salzburg and is conveniently located to visit Hallstatt and some of the beautiful surrounding villages in Austria.

http://www.vacationvillas.net/index....reg_refno/3689

Just thought I would share it as an option. ((b))

AndiM Sep 28th, 2003 09:05 AM

Consider checking Rick Steves' guidebook for Germany and Austria. He usually lists family-friendly hotels/pensions that are lower-priced. I know he travels with his family quite a bit.

girlonthego Sep 28th, 2003 09:06 AM

Thanks,
How far in advance did you plan your trip? Other relatives may be traveling along with us. (They would have their own rooms.)But for best airfare, when to book?

Russ Sep 28th, 2003 12:57 PM

I'd start looking for cheap fares in Jan or Feb. I've never paid more than about $550 rt from SFO in June - there's always something that turns up. Have a look at www.travelzoo.com for deals - I've found several there.

I don't know how long you plan to stay where or what you'll be doing, but with kids, it's often good to mix in a stay in a less urban setting. Smaller towns, sometimes just outside large centers like Munich, usually offer you a lot more for your $ too. My family usually rents a vacation apartment if we'll be in a smaller place, like one of the mountain towns in the Alps south of Munich, for 3 days or more. If you reserve in advance you'll usually have your pick of places - it's really nice to have the extra room, the kitchen, and maybe a balcony or small yard for a few days while taking little trips here and there to see the sights. You can have a look at www.accommodation.de to get a feel for what's available. There are also a lot of farms that offer roomy, family-friendly accommodations in Southern Germany - a very popular and inexpensive way that many Germans themselves take advantage of.

RClark6369 Sep 28th, 2003 01:39 PM

I would not think of purchasing a ticket before late March or even late April. You will begin to see sales during this time frame. You should be able to easily find seats to Munich or Zurich for around $550 - $700. I would fly into Zurich. Skip the car rental until you get to Vienna. I would take the train for SPECTACULAR scenery from Zurich to Innsbruck. Stay overnight in Innsbruck. Take the train on to Salzburg (via, Zellum Sae) . 2 days is plenty for Salzburg. Then take the train onto Vienna and find a car to rent there. You will be cheating yourself if you miss the train ride across Switzerland and Austria. The train climbs high into the Alps for wonderful scenery. I done this trip about 2 years ago. Trains are very NICE in both Switzerland and Austria. You would be able to reserve a compartment for just your family and you will have a HUGE picture window to "wow" at the scenery.
My opinion,
Rex Clark

girlonthego Sep 28th, 2003 03:11 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. It gives me some things to think about.
Rex Clark, Is going on the train through the Alps scary? I am not the best with heights. I do like beautiful scenery but not hanging off of the cliff. I have never been to Zurich or any of Austria or Germany.I have heard the trains were very nice. Please respond on the heights question...Thanks

girlonthego Sep 28th, 2003 03:15 PM

Rex: Would you drive from Zurich to Innsbruck/Salzburg? Or is it too far and too many mountains????

cparris Sep 28th, 2003 03:42 PM

Last summer I found fares for $415 including tax direct to Munich in July from JFK.

cparris Sep 28th, 2003 03:44 PM

I forgot to say I booked them around Feb. Start looking in January. I used travelocity putting in that you can be very flexable. I found this flight on Lufstansa

tomboy Sep 29th, 2003 08:36 AM

1. If you like cathedrals, stop at Passau, there's an organ concert (on the largest organ in Europe) at 12:00 each day. Best to arrive no later than 11:40, or sooner.
2. We followed north shore of Danube/Donau; very pleasant drive.
3. Check out Roshchitz on a map. We found a very charming B&B (on a atrium courtyard )there, which could work as a base from which to take day trips to Melk, Krems, even Vienna. It's near Horn or Eggenburg. Bedroom, kitchen, and a central room for about 30Euro