Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Austria: Bike and boat b/n Melk & Durnstein (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/austria-bike-and-boat-b-n-melk-and-durnstein-577351/)

bobchicago28 Dec 21st, 2005 08:45 AM

Austria: Bike and boat b/n Melk & Durnstein

We're coming from Vienna by train in mid-April to either Melk or Durnstein. We want to bike b/n Durnstein & Melk and take a boat back on the Danube.
We're trying to decide if we should start (and stay overnight) in Melk or Durnstein.
This is a one-day thing. The next day we will be heading to Salzburg by train.

So it's either
1. Train from Vienna to Melk in morning
2. Melk to Durnstein by bike
3. Durnstein to Melk by boat
4. Spend night in Melk

or..
1. Train from Vienna to Durnstein in morning
2. Durnstein to Melk by bike
3. Melk to Durnstein by boat
4. Spend night in Durnstein

????
Thanks

tcreath Dec 21st, 2005 09:53 AM

I can't help on where to stay, as we daytripped to the area, but I will give you my advice on the boat/bike thing. I loved Melk but I personally think that the best bike route was from Krems to Spitz. You pass through cute little villages and towns, and the scenery was better. What we did was drive to Krems, parked our car and picked up our bikes and made our way to Spitz, stopping in Durnstein, etc. along the way. We picked up the boat in Spitz and rode it back to Krems.

I think both Melk and Durnstein were great towns and you can't really go wrong by staying in either one. That being said, I think I personally would choose Durnstein as I found it "cuter".

Good luck!
Tracy

Musicteacher Dec 21st, 2005 03:30 PM

The fact that you are going on to Salzburg by train the next day makes it more convenient to spend the night in Melk. To get to Salzburg from Durnstein you would have to backtrack through Krems and St. Polten.

waggis Dec 21st, 2005 06:17 PM

In April, with any luck you may find the Wachau Valley from Melk to Krems in a pink cloud of blossoming apricot trees!
We stayed at the Hotel Schloss Dürnstein: a beautiful place with wonderful views and lots of boating traffic on the Danube which was fun to watch. The food was good, too....

molker Dec 22nd, 2005 12:05 AM

Agree with Musicteacher about staying in Melk. Melk is an easier train connection to Salzburg than Durnstein.

Also the bike trip Melk to Durnstein is slightly downhill but probably more importantly usually in the direction of the winds that can be found that time of year.

A place to stay in Melk- the Post Hotel

Be certain to check the boat schedules for the two lines that run on the Danube.

molker Dec 22nd, 2005 03:58 AM

For Danube Boat Companies and information.

www.brandner.at

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

bobchicago28 Dec 22nd, 2005 12:05 PM

thanks

But looks like we might have a snag. The brandner line has a reduced schedule in April. It only leaves from the north end (krems/durnstein) in the morning. May have to rethink this.

molker Dec 22nd, 2005 12:32 PM

you have another option - not as good but a regional train runs along the Danube in this area. This is a possible option - still a scenic ride -

www.oebb.at website in english

Do not give up on a trip in this area - it is worth it