Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

August/Sept. Bordeaux, Burgundy,Champagne , Village recommendations.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So excited we've finally settled on our next European adventure. We've been awaiting the arrival of our first grand daughter (7 weeks old now <3 ) and the 'announcement of another grand child on its way. This will be a much shorter trip than normal, we don't want to miss too much of the baby excitement. We will have 3 weeks, August 20-Sept. 9.

We've been to Europe many times, we've decided to spend 3 weeks in the areas we have previously missed in France. Flights are booked with FF points, B/class Singapore airlines. Brisbane, Singapore....Dusseldorf, (purely due to available flights) we will collect a car from here.

The plan is to drive from Dusseldorf to Azay-le-Rideau (just outside Tours, due to this village holding such lovely memories for us) with one night 'on the road' and two in the village.
4 nights Bordeaux
The next 3 nights may be spent with 1 'on the road' and 2 in San Sebastian (random I know, again amazing memories, but may want to allow extra days in Bordeaux &/or Burgundy instead).
3 nights Champagne region,
1 night 'on the road'
1 Dusseldorf before flight home.

Just to clarify, the 'nights on the road' are our buffer nights, we love driving so may not need to stop or may come across somewhere we just want to stop. Anyone who has followed any of our trips on here will know that the driving section of this trip is not a problem, we thoroughly enjoy it.

So, I'm really interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions. We like to avoid (day visits only) city's and love staying in smaller villages in inns or b&b's. We 'discovered' Azay-le-Rideau quite by accident and 5+years on its still one of our favorite memories. So if anyone can suggest some lovely spots to stay for a few nights in each region, that would be awesome.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 02:32 PM

I hope you're not renting the car in Germany and dropping it off in France. That will cost you a king's ransom - 500 euros or more. Someone has to drive the car back.

You will be traveling in super-high-season. Expect enormous crowds and traffic jams.The whole plan sounds a bit "off" without firm reservations at that time of year. You can't really just roam around Bordeaux et les environs at that time of year without firm plans. If you want lovely B&Bs you're really already very late to book. If you just want to roam and stop and hope to find a place to stay, well, good luck.

There are guidebooks galor that detail the small villages of France, and websites as well.No one can pick out the ones that might appeal to you.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your speedy reply. Car hire will be Dusseldorf pick up and return.

IMHO I'll disagree that our plans is 'a bit off', as its a preliminary plan and we will definitely start booking but I'll also mention that we've done similar trips at similar times of year (one year we spent 4 months with no reservations), without too many issues. We are very flexible but sensible.
Old Mar 13th, 2016, 03:52 PM

Is there some reason you can not get a connecting flight from Dusseldorf to somewhere in France that's close to one of the regions you plan on visiting? Like a flight from Dusseldorf to Paris or Bordeaux? It just seems kind of crazy to rent a car in Dusseldorf when the first place you want to visit is over an 8 hour non-stop drive away.

I'm assuming you've got reasons for choosing the places you wanted to visit and I would do a different itinerary but going on the assumption that that's your plan and you're sticking to it I guess for an overnight stop from Dusseldorf to Tours there are several possible stopovers but I'll suggest Compiègne (former royal and Imperial town) or Laon (beautiful medieval hilltop village with spectacular cathedral).

http://www.compiegne-tourisme.fr/

http://www.tourisme-paysdelaon.com/

Near Azay-le-Rideau you could stay in Chinon:

http://www.chinon-loirevalley.com/

There's plenty to do near Chinon for a couple of days, like Fontevraud Abbey, village visits, wine, château etc. The thread below has links to all kinds of tourist office websites for the Loire if you want to have a look:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-de-france.cfm

I don't know the Bordeaux region other than Arcachon (famous Dune du Pilat) and Saint-Emilion (wine) so others can comment there.

Driving from the Bordeaux area to San Sebastian you could stop in the French Pays Basque and visit Biarritz, Bayonne and Saint-Jean-de-Luz in one day. Biarritz is only just over 2 hours south of Bordeaux so you could start there and work south to Saint-Jean-de-Luz and spend the night there before moving on to San Sebastian.

It's a 10 hour non-stop drive from San Sebastian to Epernay in the Champagne region, which might be a good base. On the way to Epernay you might overnight in La Rochelle.

There are themed champagne trains to follow throughout the Champagne region and you can download maps and brochures from tourist office websites or pick them up in person. Hautvillers is right next to Epernay and is the home of Dom Perignon. Driving west from Epernay on the north bank of the Marne River you'll be in the Marne Valley Champagne region and it is a scenic drive. Just about every tiny village you pass through has about half a dozen small producers. Here is a photo report I wrote about a portion of the Marne River Valley that will show what the valley looks like and has info about quaint villages and the smaller champagne houses associated with these villages:

http://tinyurl.com/p467ofv

There are loads of other things to do in and around the Champagne region that don't involve champagne and I've written photo reports about exploring that area if you want to have a look.

This report covers sites north of the Marne River all the way up to Laon (a lovely medieval hilltop village with a magnificent cathedral). There are a number of WWI sites in this area if that interests you, notably along the Chemin des Dames. The Laon tourist office website has plenty of info on these sites as does the TO website for Château-Thierry:

http://www.chateau-thierry-tourisme.com/

Here is the link to the 2nd report:

http://tinyurl.com/cqst5xz

Here are local TO websites:

http://en.ot-epernay.com/

http://www.tourisme-hautvillers.com/

Here is the regional tourist office website:

http://www.champagne-ardenne-tourism.co.uk/

Here is a good website by an expert on champagne in that region:

http://champagnediscovery.com/

This website has maps and info about the touristic champagne trails in the region:

http://www.champagne.fr/en/discoveri...ims-and-region

I don't see Burgundy on your itinerary, though you mentioned it, so I'm not sure if you are replacing Bordeaux with Burgundy. You say you love driving so I won't question that because there are a couple long drives in there. I personally don't understand driving such long distances and passing by so many places worthy of visiting in between and thus spending more of your vacation driving instead of touring and visiting. But it's not my vacation and you said you like driving so I guess that's what you like to do.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I second all the advice above. Start in France or even Spain if you want to go to France or Spain. If you start in Germany go visit German vinyards (the Mosel is lovely)

In France this may be useful http://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/

Since you are going in high season you will need to book.

I'd stay in Fontevraud, mentioned in FMT's piece above. You don't stay in the abbey but in the monestry next door. The cloisters are pretty and the old buildings nice and cool in the heat of summer, but the best bit is walking around in the gardens late at night. Best restaurant is in the village rather than in the hotel, but maybe things have improved ;-)
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks so much for all the info. Firstly let me clear up the Burgundy question... You're right I omitted it from the plan. We will visit there before Champagne.

As for why we would fly into Düsseldorf when we are visiting France..... Well when you are using ff points, obviously you have to be a little flexible. That was the best flight available and we are happy to drive, remembering that all the scenery is new to us. As for another flight from Düsseldorf, we would personally prefer to drive than spend the time at airports.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 01:41 AM

Hello, aussiedreamer. I think I have read reports on some of your previous trips and you have had some great sounding trips. You are from Brisbane? We are from Toowoomba which will mean nothing if you are not from Brisbane!!!
However, this seems to be a departure from others in that it is a lot shorter. I agree with the previous advice . With only three weeks and starting in Düsseldorf, I would not be going as far afield as San Sebastian. Unless you anticipate this being your last trip to Europe, and it probably is not, you could go there again from somewhere much closer than Düsseldorf.
You mention Burgundy, but do not include it in your proposed itinerary at this stage. You could have a very nice trip going back to Azay le Rideau, Burgundy and the Champagne region. Even Bordeaux is quite a distance. We also love driving around France, but not if it means passing by lots of wonderful places.
We have spent seven weeks in various parts of Burgundy and yet, here we are going back for another week later this year. And we have spent a week in the Champagne region and two weeks in the Loire Valley. There is plenty to see and enjoy in these regions.
But whatever you do, have a great time. You know your travel style and this is your trip. We are slow travellers and stay at least a week in a spot , so would find it difficult to plan a trip such as this. But I can appreciate your pleasure at the moment. We will be welcoming a new grandchild (number 3) in May.
Bon voyage.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 09:31 AM

On your drive from San Sebastian to Burgundy you might overnight at Brive-la-Gaillarde, which is right on your route and is a pleasant small city/large town with enough services and restos. If you want to deviate from your route you could try Sarlat. If you want charming small villages then just south of Brive-la-Gaillarde are Turenne or Collonges-la-Rouge.

If it might sway you, I spent two weeks in the area around Brive. It's adjacent to the Dordogne and its famous sites and just as beautiful with just as many charming villages and landscapes and none of the tourists that cram into the Dordogne because they don't know otherwise. I wrote a photo report about visiting this area and if you want you can have a look: http://tinyurl.com/q6bb5av

Of all your long drives the one from Bordeaux to San Sebastian for only a couple of nights, from where you'll drive across France to Burgundy, makes the least sense to me.

As for Bordeaux, which I've never been to, I would gladly swap any number of days in/near Bordeaux for an equal number of days anywhere in Burgundy.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM

<<I would gladly swap any number of days in/near Bordeaux for an equal number of days anywhere in Burgundy.>>

As a general rule I would agree with that, but Alain Juppé has done amazing things in Bordeaux in the past few years, and it is one world-class city now. It finally has a riverbank culture, among other things. I don't think I've ever seen a city so beautifully transformed as Bordeaux. It used to pain me to go there; now I can't wait and go as often as I can. Going Saturday, in fact, and looking forward to it.

The vineyards and countryside around it....meh. I'd rather be in Burgundy any day.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Fantastic thoughts, thanks so much. Re San Sebastián.... It's really only a thought at this stage and I like the Bordeaux vs Burgundy idea.

Thanks so much for the 'small village' suggestions, can't wait to research.

We have been to Sarlat on a previous trip.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

FrenchMystiquetours...... Wow thank you. What a great read. I've book marked and will research more thoroughly. Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

FrenchMystiquetours I cannot thank you enough for you amazing blog and photos. It sounds like our traveling style is very similar. Lots of exploring and lots of down time c/w wine. I especially love your TI suggestions, it's always the first thing we do. But your added photos of the best brochures is invaluable. Many thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks aussiedreamer. I'm glad you were able to stick it out to the end of the report as it's not exactly an exercise in brevity. But this is what I like:

<< But your added photos of the best brochures is invaluable.>>

Exactly. I'm always trying to extol the virtues of tourist office websites and especially visiting tourist offices in person because of the wealth of info they offer that usually isn't found in a guidebook and is difficult to find on-line but I think my advice usually falls on deaf ears. It's nice to find someone who not only finds these resources useful but appreciates what a wealth of info they offer.

I'd like to add that StCirq really knows Bordeaux and I've heard that the city has made tremendous improvements in recent years so I would trust her advice in regards to its "visit worthiness".

Whatever you do I hope you have an excellent and enjoyable vacation.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 07:31 AM

Villages in Burgundy:

Noyers-sur-Serein is one https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...7622755059630/

but you could use the "plus beaux villages de France" website to find others in the area http://www.les-plus-beaux-villages-d...onomy/term/141

In the height of summer, it is safer to have reservations. Already in 1992 we had difficulty finding accommodations at the last minute in Burgundy.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 09:50 AM

I've got a photo report about Noyers-sur-Surein and environs that I'll post later.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, this is great. FrenchMystiquetours You are my new favourite travel blogger. .
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, awesome suggestion.

I've been looking at Airbnb have found some amazing 'available' reasonably priced spots.

We are looking at condensing somewhat, maybe 3 bases, Loire, Burgundy & Champagne. Thanks again, suggestions have been great.
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 05:08 PM

Thanks again aussiedreamer.

Here's the link to my trip report about Burgundy:

http://tinyurl.com/6dkeozh

And here's a thread that has links to all the major tourist office websites in Burgundy plus other attractions etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...-Burgundy.html
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

So, slight date change ..... August 29 - September 22 due to flights not available when we actually went to book. Happy with that though, hoping it 'may' be slightly cooler??
Now to book the car..... Fortunately for me Mr AD takes care of flights and cars. We can now start booking accommodation in our 3 bases. Main criteria is no hotels ... We want gites-apartments - cottages. No farm stays as such this time. Although we love them, we want to be able to wonder in 'our' village for meals/provisions etc.

Probably will use Airbnb ..... Any thoughts?
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Better dates actually. Most of families will leave the touristic areas because of school - easier for you to find lodging.

Nice pics FM ! made want to go back to Dordogne... some exceptional wine in the region too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -