August in Rome - Hotel advise

Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in Rome - Hotel advise

I am driving myself crazy trying to find a great hotel in Rome. We need 2 rooms as we are traveling with our adult daughters. I am considering
Hotel Art at the Spanish Steps
Hotel d'Inghilterra
The Inn at the Spanish Steps
Albergo Cesari
I have read all of the reviews, and am concerned about a/c and showers at these hotels. I have heard that Cesari has problems with a/c, I also read d'Inghilterra has problems as well. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels in the summer who could give me some advise. (As fifty approaches a/c is a must at night). I am willing to spend $250+/- for each room and want to be in an area where there is shopping. I don't really like fussy rooms with lots of dark walls & carpets and I don't want to feel like I am climbing over the bed to get to the door. Originally I thought we would stay at the Raphael for $150 euros, but the horrible reviews have turned me off. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention we will be staying for 2 nights upon arrival and then heading to the Amalfi coast for 14 days. I have a great rate at the Boscolo Palace for the last 2 nights upon our return but that rate is not available any longer.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM

I've stayed at the D'Inghilterra in July and the air conditioning just alright, not super cold by any means but it kept the room reasonably comfortable. I had a very good experience at the Raphael but we stayed in a junior suite so can't comment on the standard rooms. However, the AC was fantastic--almost icy.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Grinisa - I would like to stay at Raphael because of the location, what did you think of the hotel overall and the service? How long ago did you stay there. Again Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:33 PM

It's only 3 stars, but I stayed at Hotel Della Torre Argentina last summer, when it was brutally hot. The a/c worked great. In fact, I was too cold most of the time, and had to turn it down! I found it on Venere.com
There is some shopping nearby, but there is also a bus stop right outside the door, so you can go anywhere from that location.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Melissajoy

Diane, have you looked at the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio on Piazza Montecitorio, Rome? We stayed there in June...a terrific 4-star hotel. Our double room was a good size, air conditioning worked fine, breakfast was very satisfying, and you just can't beat the location of this very central hotel! We walked to the Panatheon 3 times, walked to the trevi fountain, piazza navona, the roman forum and the colosseum. Took a public bus to the vatican museums and St. Peter's but if you have 4 people or less take a taxi instead to St. Peter's and the VAtican Museums...public buses are hot and crowded. www.nazionaleroma.it oh yeah you can also walk to the spanish steps...Right around the corner from the hotel is Giolitti's...you can get gelato twice a day!

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Diane, my husband and I stayed at the Raphael four nights. Overall, I thought the hotel and its staff and service were fine. The rooftop has a very nice bar with great view. The best part of course was the location. It was nice to stay in the Piazza Navona or Piazza della Rotunda till late and be steps away from the hotel. Breakfast wasn't included in the rate but there are many places near the hotel to grab coffee and a cornetto.