Search

August in Istanbul? Too hot??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 09:44 AM
shj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
August in Istanbul? Too hot??

I have a week in August and would like to see Istanbul. Too hot or not? I have no interest in finding a beach area nearby, only want to spend the time in the heart of the city. Perhaps October is a better bet?
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm no expert but a quick glance at annual average temps chart for Istanbul puts August as the hottest month of the year with high hitting 30. With October high only reaching 20.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
August temperatures can go as high as 36-38 C in the daytime and 24-26 at night. there can be 3-7 days of this type of stiffling heat. But we usually have a breeze, which is more effective on the Bosphorus coast.

If you have a choice, October has some other major advantages:

- less crowded at the touristic locations.
- possibility of more lodging choices and maybe cheaper accommodation.
- evening fun and entertainment moves back to the central areas of the city from the expensive Bosphorus venues.
- trips on the Bosphorus (by land or sea) less congested and not so time consuming.

If you do not mind the expense, staying at the Radisson Blue, bebek Hotel, les ottoman, could be great in August. (rack rates from Euro 335 to 800/night.) You could even use a water taxi to take you close to the old city from these hotels, without suffering from any traffic congestion.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there in August 2007. It was warm, but not extreme. Car has AC, hotels mostly AC. Only really noticed heat when at Ephesus.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not good in the hot weather, so I'd choose October. We were there last October and it was beautiful. Maybe we got lucky, but I'd opt for October anyway. I'm not sure, but I imagine hotel rates would be better (otherchelebi can confirm or deny that) and there would be fewer tourists.