Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Apartment near Parc de Passy or near Rue de Commerce!?

Old May 9th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kids want a view of the Eiffel and so can't decide between apartments next to Parc de Passy or off Rue de Commerce? Seems Passy is a shorter walk to the Eiffel though no view while Rue de Commerce seems to offer more Parisian charm, some view and perhaps a bit more walking. We simply can't decide! Pricing and size are similar. What say? Left or Right?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:58 AM

My experience with Rue de Commerce is from a bus and it didn't strike me as particularly charming. But it's hard to say, because it's a long enough street to have lots of different views. Given those two choices, I'd probably pic the Parc de Passy but my choice would depend a lot more on the specifics of the apartment itself.

Have you "walked" the neighborhoods with Google street view? That always helps me.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:41 AM

I never thought of rue de Commerce as charming, either, it's a shopping street. And some of the shops aren't charming, just chain stuff, like most places. I do like Cafe du Commerce, great old place that is an institution. That is a very long stret, why don't you be more specific as to where it is located.

To be honest, I like both areas a lot but the main center of Passy neighborhood which I like isn't near the parc de Passy along the Seine. It's really more along rue de Passy, closer to La Muette metro stop.

I think that area near the Seine is some built-up modern area and with that main road running by there (ave de Pres. Kennedy), might not be as pleasant an area to stay as a regular neighborhood more like around rue de Commerce. But as I said, rue de Commerce is a long street, and parts are more neighborhoody than others. I like it down near Felix Faure, also, Swuare Violet is a nice park to the west of there. There are a lot of good restaurants around there, and around Sq Lambert (which is a great old movie theater I like to go to). But if you were down at the very bottom of rue de COmmerce, it's a lot different story than being at the top, in terms of convenience, etc.

I'd probably pick the rue de COmmerce one for logistical reasons, I like to do a lot of things on the Left Bank, and because the Passy one isn't where I'd want to be over there.
Old May 9th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Oh! You are right - I thought if it's overlooking the park and near Rue Charles Dickens, it wouldn't be too bad but I didn't think of the noise or traffic given that we want to walk the Pont Bir to get to the Left Bank. This one has an extra bathroom!

The other apartment is between Rue Dela Croix Nivert and Commerce so somewhere between the metros of Commerce/Felix and Emile Zola on Line10.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Absolutely rue du Commerce, which is a lively business district. Parc de Passy is better suited for being transformed into a cemetery.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:53 AM

Between Commerce and Zola is a convenient location, I'd choose that one for sure. Be sure to go to this cafe once
http://www.lecafeducommerce.com/ This is one of my favorite bistros in Paris, I always go at least once.

http://www.bistrocie.fr/index.php?page=champetre&scat=6

There is a big Monoprix just a bit west of Charles Michels metro stop, very convenient, on rue Linois.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:56 AM

oh, forgot to mention, rue St Charles itself has a lot of food shops on it (bakery, produce, cheese, etc), and a weekly open air market. It's Tuesdays and Fridays in the morning. It runs between rue Javel and place Charles Michels.
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Love your description of Parc de Passy, kerouac!
Old May 9th, 2014, 04:56 PM

what kerouac said.
Old May 10th, 2014, 09:31 AM

tongsa, just out of curiosity, can you post a link of the apt you found in the 15th? I like that area and would be interested in seeing what it's like.

There is already a cemetery in Passy, and a quite well-known and lovely one with some famous graves in it, which I've visited. Debussy is buried there, for example, as well as Felix Faure and Manet. It's right near the Trocadero. So I don't quite understand the comment myself about turning parc de Passy into a cemetery.
Old May 10th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Christine, wouldn't presume to speak for kerouac but my interp is that it relates to the somewhat sedate / bland character of the Passy area - which I do find pretty accurate on the whole.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi, sorry to have disappeared like this!

Just got back from the holiday, and yes, it was very close to the Café du Commerce where we had a wonderful meal, and the Monoprix? It was a good location and the kids were delighted (as was I actually) to see the sparkling lights of the Eiffel from our bedroom windows!

The Motte Picquet rail line was closed but it wasn't so bad (and lots of other eateries around)and we did walk to the Eiffel very often, and actually walked to the Louvre and back on a couple of occasions!