Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > August 2014 Iceland Volcano Possible Eruption
Notices

August 2014 Iceland Volcano Possible Eruption

Aug 24th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

August 2014 Iceland Volcano Possible Eruption

My husband and I returned from Iceland a couple of weeks ago and had the opportunity to visit some of the areas that might get flooded if there is a volcano eruption. We are following the situation carefully.

The Icelandic government is very prepared since they have to deal with this often- there are, I believe something like 31 volcanoes. They believe that there will be less air disruption if this volcano erupts.

You can find updated information at:
http://en.vedur.is/

The latest report includes:

The Icelandic Met Office notes: 24 August, 2014: Earthquake activity in NW-Vatnajökull is still very strong, 700 earthquakes have been observed since midnight and they are somewhat larger than previous days. Two large earthquakes over 5 were in the Bárðarbunga caldera this night. There are no indications that the activity is slowing down, and therefore an eruption can not be excluded.

We also heard from our guide in Iceland who reported the following:

"...I'm just coming from the North and the Dettifoss area has been cordoned of because of the imminent eruption. We thought it would start yesterday and expected the rivers to swell and increase in volume, but it was a false warning. There was a quake over five on Richter scale last night deep under the volcanic system of Bardarbunga which is an indication the intrusion is on it's way up. Exactly when the eruption will start is hard to say. Most likely it will flow down direction Dettifoss waterfall. Now we are waiting..."

Hope those of you who are planning to visit Iceland and those who are flying in and out of Europe are not influenced by this potential eruption.

Iceland is a magical country, but that's for another thread.
Aug 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM

I read about this the other day but haven't seen anything else mentioned. In May 2010, I was flying to Paris for a week but luckily, all the chaos had gotten back to normal 2 DAYS before I left.

Now I'm scheduled to fly to Europe on October 4th... hope by then the situation has settled down or better yet, there is no actual eruption and disruption of travel.
Aug 24th, 2014, 09:26 AM

We were hiking at the site of the 2010 eruption exactly a year ago. Steam still coming off the lava. Certainly one of the most interesting places on earth (to us).

Search this Thread