Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aug tour in France/Swiss/ Italy (Piemonte)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need expert helps again! I have had a great help here for my last trip to Provence in last July, hope that I could gain superb advice again for my trip this year!

I am planning a trip at end July or early August, accompanied with my 7 yrs old son and my wife.

Must stay spot will be Paris and Interlaken (for the Mount jungfrau), that part is pretty much fixed.

Now I m thinking of a 2-3 days sight seeing roadtrip in Swiss or even northern part of Italy... Is it a good idea not to take trains?
Worth to drive from Swiss to northern part of Italy?
Any recommendations?

Cheers
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 08:00 AM

It's perfectly possible to visit tons of gems in Switzerland by car, without boarding any train (between June and October, when all mountain roads are open).

But if you want to visit Switzerland by car, don’t choose just the places that can NOT be reached by car (like Muerren, Schynige Platte, Schilthorn, First, Kleine Scheidegg, Maennlichen, Rigi, etc). Otherwise you will have to pay for both: car rental, fuel (about 8 USD per US gallon/3,85 litres) AND mountain railways.

There are tons of beautiful places in the Swiss Alps which can be reached by car. Some suggestions:

Drive from Martigny to Col de la Gueulaz on Lake Emosson (2000m/6600ft). You are then just in front of the Northern side of Mont Blanc, the highest mountain chain of Western Europe. The glaciers of Trient, Tour, Argentiere as well as the peaks of Aiguille d'Argentiere (3900m/13000fr), Aiguille Verte (4120m/13500ft), Grandes Jorasse (4210m/13800ft), Mont Blanc (4810m/15800ft) ar jus a few miles away.

Drive from Martigny to Grand St Bernard Pass (2470m/8100ft) and hike in 1/2 hr to La Chenalette (2800m/9200ft). From there, you have a stupendous view to the Southern side of Mont Blanc (A Neuve Glacier, Dolent Glacier, Pre de Bar Glacier, Triolet Glacier as well as a lot of 3800 to 4800m / 13000 to 15800ft high peaks). In the South, but farther away, you see the glaciers and peaks of the Gran Paradiso chain.
A easy, but very scenic 6hrs circular hike goes from Col du Gd St-Bernard via Col des Chevaux - Lake Petit Le - Col de Bastillon to the 3 blue mountain lakes of Fenetre and then over the Col de Fenetre de Ferret back to Col du Gd St-Bernard.

Drive from Sion to Col du Sanetsch (2250m/7400ft) and hike in about 2 hrs to Refuge/Restaurant La Quille du Diable on Tsanfleuron Glacier (2900m/9500ft). You are there on the top of a perpendicular cliff and can look down to Lake Derborence, just 1500m/5000ft below your feet. Stupendous view to Mont Blanc chain, Grand Combin, Mont Collon and tons of other peaks.

Drive from Sierre to Grimentz and then up to the end of the road on Lake Moiry (2250m/7400ft) and hike then in aobut 1 hr to Moiry hut (Swiss Alpine club) and Moiry Glacier.

Drive from Brig to Ried-Moerel, go by gondola to Riederalp (5 CHF/one way), hike in 1/2 hr to Riederfurka (2070m/6800ft), visit the visitor's centre/museum of the Jungfrau-Aletsch Nature reserve, walk through the Aletsch Forest and have a look at the Aletsch Glacier (longest glacier of Europe) just below and in front of you.

Drive to Breuil-Cervinia (Italian neighbourhood, 2000m/6500ft) and go by cableway to Plateau Rosa (28 EUR/35 USD roundtrip). Plateau Rosa (3500m/11500ft) is close to Matterhorn Paradise/Kleinmatterhorn (1 mile away, same panorama). The roundtrip ticket from Taesch Parking to Matterhorn Paradise costs 107 CHF/112 USD

Drive to Grimsel Pass (2200m/7200ft) and hike in about 1 1/2 hr to Sidelhorn (2800m/9200ft). Panoramic views to Unteraar Glacier, Oberaar Glacier, 6 mountain lakes around Grimsel Pass, Finsteraarhorn (4300m/14100ft) and dozens of other peaks. You may also hike from Grimsel Pass to Lake Oberaar (1 hr) and along this lake to Oberaar Glacier (another hr).
Drive then from Grimsel Pass to Furka Belvedere and visit the Ice cave in the Rhone Glacier.
Another road in the same area goes to Nufenenpass/Griessee. The hike from the end of the road to Lake Griessee - Gries Pass - Gries Glacier takes about 1 1/2 hrs.

Drive from Davos or St. Moritz to Stelvio Pass (2800m/9200ft). Hike to the glaciers (1 hr or so) or enjoy the view to them from Piz da las Trais Linguas (3 languages peak; 2850m/9400ft).

etc. etc.

But if you prefer to ride with Glacier Express, Bernina Express, Golden Pass Panoramic, etc. and if you want to visit Gornergrat and Jungfraujoch, you better look after rail passes.

You may have a look at
http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/home.html
http://www.swisstravelsystem.ch/en/
http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Dear Neckervd,

Your reply makes my cry!!!! Thank you!!!! Yes ! I love to explore some non-mainstream tourist spots with my family. And I will study your suggestion via Google and I m sure I could pick some beautiful gems to visit.

Million thanks for your passion and brilliant suggestions!!!

I don't have experience in driving on snow surface. If my trip is at August, any chance I need to ride on snow?
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 08:17 AM

" If my trip is at August, any chance I need to ride on snow?"

The probability will be below one per mill
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM

How long is your trip?
Old Jan 30th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen,

Still in planning stage. Currently the rough plan is:

3 people my 7 years old son comes with us

4D @ Paris (city tour and shopping)

4D @ Swiss (see the famous mountain and scenery)

2D @ Piemonte (vineyard, Italian cuisine)

Re Swiss, I m not interested in big cities. I want to visit either Jungfrau or Matterhorn! And would like to have a walk with my family. We aren't good at hiking, so just want to try some mild routes. Also I like driving around, hence would like to find a nice spot that is suitable for driving. If could plus an hour or two mild hiking, it's perfect.

With surfing the net, now I have a few option:

1) Eigergletsher to Alpiglen(Grindewald) (2 hours)
2) Blauherd(Zermatt) - Lake Stelli - Rifflalp (2.5 hr) - the five lake walk
3) Drive from Martigny to Col de la Gueulaz on Lake Emosson (2000m/6600ft).
4) Drive from Martigny to Grand St Bernard Pass

Not sure which one is suitable for us?!

And I will drive from Swiss to Piemomte, Italy, spent a night there and will be returning to Swiss in the next day. Therefore the pick of the spot at Swiss needs to consider the road trip to Piemomte too.

Any thoughts? Too greedy?
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 08:49 AM

If you want to drive from Switzerland up to the popular vineyards of Piedmont, count AT LEAST half a day OW.