Help me pack for Italy

Search

Help me pack for Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me pack for Italy

I'm making my first trip to Italy, (and first trip abroad) in June. I always tend to pack too much and I could really use some tips on how to pack for 14 days. Any and all help will be much appreciated

Lily
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There have been countless threads on this subject over the years. Some posters have even provided packing lists. Type "packing" into the search box above.

My four basic tips:
1) make sure everything color- and style-coordinates;
2) think layers for temp changes (although that won't be a big issue in June);
3) assume you will do laundry (or have hotel do it) once or twice;
4) everything should fit in a 20-22" bag with wheels plus one small carry-on bag.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 12:29 PM

Hi L,

Good advice from Jean as this question has been asked sooooo
many times in the past.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM

I always think in tops and bottoms because think tops need to be laundered more often than bottoms unless you have a big spill. For 14 days I would pack 6 tops and 3 bottoms--this includes the outfit for the plane. Everything mixes and matches with everything else.

The tops would have a variety of sleeve lengths to cover multiple weather conditions.

Unless it was very hot, I probably wouldn't need to do real laundry, but would hang items after each wearing to air. Since you're traveling in June, heat might be an issue, so I'd be sure to pack tops that would dry quickly if laundered in a sink.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM

ziplocks.

for leftovers, bread, snacks, receipts, wet things, ...
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:37 PM

I agree with the color coordination.

For 14 days, you could do:

3 bottoms:
skirts, pants and/or capris - whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you tend to get cold easily, pants will work better; if you tend to get hot easily, capris or skirts may be better.

4-6 tops:
3-4 basic short sleeved/sleeveless tops
2-3 basic long sleeved or 3/4 sleeve tops (that can be layered over the short sleeved)
if you plan on some fancy dining, etc., switch out a basic top above for a dressy piece

1 lightweight jacket/sweater for nights or a suddenly chilly day.

2-3 pairs of shoes:

1 solid walking shoes - closed toe
1 comfortable walking sandals that can go with the skirt or capris
Go for comfort over style and looks if you have nothing that covers both
1 dressier pair if you plan on fancy dining, etc.
If you have to buy new shoes, buy them now and wear them in - don't keep them "new" for the trip.

A nice pashmina style scarf can help dress you up and keep you warm without adding bulk. It can also be used to cover up a spill on your top, etc.

Take only the makeup you absolutely can't live without - don't fill your suitcase with unnecessary stuff.

Lay out all your stuff and separate into 3 piles: "absolutely necessary", "really want", and "just in case". Dump the "just in case" pile and reduce the "really want" pile in half. What you have left is what you should take.

Make a list of every item you will be taking and check off the list as you pack it. Anything that is not on the list, DOES NOT go in the suitcase. No "but maybe I'll need it" thoughts allowed. The list will help keep you on track.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is my typical summer Europe female pack list for 2-3 weeks:
2 pants packable fabric
2 capris or gauchos
2 knee length shorts
8-10 assorted tops (cotton plain or patterned t-shirts, sleeveless or short sleeved blouses, a couple tank tops, 3/4 sleeved blouse that can work as a coverup)
1 linen or knit jacket
1-2 sandals
1 sneakers
1 shoes
1 small leather purse w/strap
assorted undies, lightweight socks
silk robe or something to sleep in
packable sunhat

Another handy trick is downsizing all regular toiletries and cosmetics (small sample sizes or pouring your own into 2-3 oz plastic bottles) so you carry just what you need for the length of your trip. Remember little things like travel pack kleenex, cutips, bandaids, earplugs, a few Motrin or Tylenol, tweezers, nail clippers, nail file. Snack-size ziplocks are great for organizing this stuff.

(The above fits in one 24" rolling suitcase & a canvas tote bag as carry-on.)

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another small but incredibly helpful addition... 2 lightweight molded plastic hangers tucked into the pocket or bottom of your suitcase, so when you wash out tops (in the hotel sink using hotel shampoo) you'll have a way to hang them to dry.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Rather than plastic hangers, I like the inflatable ones that don't leave points in the shoulders. Now, where did I buy mine? Magellan?

I also take an elastic clothes line with suction cups on each end that you can stick on the tiles in a shower. When the two bands are tight, you can tuck the edges of clothing in between them without needing clothes pins or hangers.

I don't like to use shampoo for laundry because it sometimes contains a conditioning agent that's hard to rinse out. I take Woolite, either liquid in a small bottle or dry in packets that I've found in the travel section at the drug store.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Amazon has the inflatable hangers. Two for $4, four for $8.