Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Audi A3, Mercedes C-180 or BMW 3er, which is the best?

Old Mar 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're picking up a rental car to drive along the Romantic Road at the end of this week. We have found great rates for these 3 car types(Audi A3, Mercedes C-180 or BMW 3er,) and would like to get your opinion on which one would be the best choice? Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Chose the BMW -- ask for a diesel -- great mileage, cheaper fuel.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Which exact BMW 3 series model is it? The 3 "Compact" is a hatchback with smaller engine, comparable to the Audi A3.

The regular 3 series sedan ("Limousine&quot and the Mercedes "C" is the same class. The C180 has a four cylinder supercharged engine, making 143 horsepower. The BMW will depend on the model. 320i is a 4-cylinder model with 150 horsepower, a 325i is 6-cylinder. And like Budman says, there are diesel models in the 3-series too.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 02:10 PM

In 2001, I rented a 3 series BMW station wagon - diesel - and I was surprised how peppy it was.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 03:26 PM

We rented a C class a couple of years ago - and it was distinctly underpowered - as well as riding like a sofa. I don;t know the exact details - since they never give you the manual when you rent - but I was amazed at how sluggish the car was. (If it has a 140 HP that would explain it - I had no idea nay Mercedes had that tiny an engine - my subcompact has 190 and even that itsn;t super quick on the uptake).
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM
hsv

kamill,

1. What jumps to mind is that the A3 is not the same category as the C-Class and 3series. The normal A3 is a sporty 3-door hatchback. There is also an A3 Sportback, being a slightly larger sort of station wagon with 5 doors. Both versions have a trunk the contents of which are not visible from the outside.
The A3 is a great ride and was just voted the "best car of the world in its category by German Auto magazine "auto motor sport" and might have the best image in that class if that's important for you. While having a suspension that is a bit on the stiff side (esp. should you happen to get one with the sport package), but it corners like on rails. I would ask for a Diesel. While the 1.9 l engine already provides reasonable acceleration (all those modern Diesels impress rather by their immense torque than by sheer horsepower) with gorgeous mileage, the 2.0 l version makes for a rather quick drive. I would wholeheartedly recommend it (esp. on winding roads it's tremendous fun) in that category, but only if it's not more than two of you travelling.

2. Of the 3series and the C-Class, I would opt for the 3series if you enjoy driving a very active car. Should your focus lie on comfort, consider the C-Class. Both cars are about the same size and slightly larger than the A3.
I decidedly second (or third) the recommendations of asking for a Diesel in that category, too. (and should the rental company give you an A4 instead, don't worry, it compares in its agility to the 3series!).

Have fun with any of those!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM

Definitely the BMW 3 series - Diesel. Those things are great on the European roads.
Cheers,
J