Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   AUBERGE DE LA REINE BLANCHE. Attention: Grandmere and Patrick (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/auberge-de-la-reine-blanche-attention-grandmere-and-patrick-389475/)

Treesa Jan 20th, 2004 02:29 AM

AUBERGE DE LA REINE BLANCHE. Attention: Grandmere and Patrick

I'm in London (flying back home tomorrow). Spent all day yesterday in Paris. I'm happy to report that Auberge is still there. We got there before noon. The place is absolutely funky looking. The menu was listed at 17.90 euros. It looked fabulous. We had other plans already so we did not eat there but there's always next time. Loved all the knicknacks on the walls, the tiny tables, the bottles in the bar. I did not see any birds, though. Just in case I took a picture of the establishment. By the way, Paris is soooo cheap compared the London. And the sales in January are incredible...

grandmere Jan 20th, 2004 04:33 AM

Treesa, thanks so much for checking that out, especially with just one day in Paris. I wonder how that other rumor got started? I think I perpetuated it, but not guilty of initiating it! Anyway, important thing is that AdlRB still exists!
Sounds as though you had a great time!

Patrick Jan 20th, 2004 04:38 AM

Yes, thanks for checking it out. Although I thought the original point was that someone said it had sold or changed management. Perhaps that is still true?

grandmere Jan 20th, 2004 04:45 AM

Yes, and I think a name change was involved in the original post, also. I don't remember the prix fixe being as low as 17 E in recent years?
I'm off to Paris early March, so I will stop by myself and hope to find it as it always was.

Patrick Jan 20th, 2004 04:54 AM

I suspect that was the lunch price which even sounds low to my recent memory. The evening one had gone up to 30 euro in fall of 2002.

SusanP Jan 20th, 2004 08:57 AM

My mother and I ate there in Sept and the fixed price menu was 17 euro up until a certain time, I think before 7:30 pm. We were eating earlier than usual that night, so we got that price. It was the first time I had been there, so I don't know whether it was different management.

AlanM1 Feb 16th, 2004 12:16 PM

Hi, I think I started it with my post in early December. The restaurant is still there with the same name, but the birds were gone, the staff different, the incredible dessert menu missing, and even the owners were not present (which I had never seen). Their website is also extinct. The meal was also very so-so. It seemed to me that new people were in chrge, though I hope they were just on vacation!

grandmere Feb 16th, 2004 12:31 PM

Funny that you should post this today; about 2 hrs. ago I tried for the first time in several weeks to get their website, and of course, to no avail. I'll be in Paris in a couple of weeks so will try to stop in and see what's going on!
I was also thinking to myself that I act as though there are no other good restaurants in Paris, with all this obsessing about AdlRB, but there was something very special about the little place, and I guess others share my feelings.

AlanM1 Feb 17th, 2004 03:55 AM

Dear Grandmere,
I know it was a special place for us as well and it was so disappointing to find it so changed, even though the room was the same the atmosphere was missing. I cannot wait to hear from you after your trip to see what you find.
Another place dear to our hearts is Laudere for breakfast, both the Rue Royale (more hectic, but a real jewel box) or the Rue Jacob locations. Amazingly expensive, but worth the treat.