Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ATTN: Those living in England or those familiar with London, what's a "sherbert"

ATTN: Those living in England or those familiar with London, what's a "sherbert"

Dec 14th, 2000, 09:48 AM
kyle

I met a couple from London recently who told me tht they stop in the pub frequently for a sherbert. At the time, I didn't think to ask about it. Now I want to know, what kind of a drink is this?

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:03 AM
xxx

In the US, a sherbet, is an ice cream like concoction - fruit flavors.

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:39 AM
james

Ha! funny one - a sherbert is a name for any alcoholic drink, so a common phrase might be "I've got to g

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:41 AM
james

.....to get home to the family, so I'll just join you at the pub for a couple of sherberts"

Dec 14th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Lesli

I found a great site of "playground slang" which defines it as follows:
sherbert n. originally a carbonated sugary drink, now transferred to any alcoholic drink; as in "I'm just off for a pint of sherbert dear!" UK (S)

Dec 18th, 2000, 06:51 AM
Liz

In England, 'sherbert' is a sweet powder, a bit like sugar, that children eat (usually dipping a lollipop or stick of liquorice in it).

However, we buy it in sweet-shops, not in the pub! If someone tells you they're going to the pub 'for a sherbert', then they're probably going for SEVERAL alcoholic drinks (any kind)!