Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Attn: Paris Lovers, great new film shot in Montmartre!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Thyra

If you are one of those people who is really sensitive to posts that may be considered slightly off topic then skip over this!! Anyway, for all who love Paris, check out the new film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Amelie. Shot in and around Montmartre, great views from Sacre Coeur, The Abessess Metro stop, Gard de Est, lovely Paris scenes! It's in French, has a very strong Oscar buzz, and is R rated, but the best movie I've seen all year!

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Patrick

Thanks, Thyra, I'll look for it here in Naples, Florida about 6 or 8 months from now -- only if it gets really good press. Oh, how I miss that month in LA when I could see any movie I wanted to.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:07 PM
xx

FYI, this was discussed in another thread. The movie has generated a lot of buzz and is very popular here in Europe, but remember that many of those Paris scenes were computer generated or very heavily cleaned up with special effects to make the movie's Montmartre neighborhood look much nicer than the real thing.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:45 PM
vincent

XX is right, Amelie offers picture postcard perfection that real Paris does not have. However, in many places they shot (like the grocer's on the corner of rue Androuet) they actually went in and cleaned up, spruced up the place with a new paint job. Art imitating reality imitating art, or something like that. <BR> <BR>Amelie by the way is a fantastic "feel-good" movie. Wonderful fantasy, just what the doctor ordered.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Sue

I think Ebert (or Roeper) referred to Amélie as a French Allie McBeal (not necessarily bad IMO), but they both liked it. They also mentioned that Cannes wouldn't consider it because it was too popular! The clips were gorgeous--I'm going. And, Patrick, we have a multiplex in Las Vegas that is willing to "throw away" one of its screens on art/foreign films--finally. (Pani e Tulipani is showing there, so we do have a wait.)

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:55 PM
mia

In case someone wants to see this same actress in another good French film, the movie HAPPENSTANCE opened in NY this past weekend..it stars the same young actress and it is all about coincidence-or "happenstance"..and it takes place in Paris also~