Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Attn Packing Experts - Question about Shoes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/attn-packing-experts-question-about-shoes-700784/)

mish42 Apr 28th, 2007 12:54 PM

Attn Packing Experts - Question about Shoes

Hello: I will be travelling to Greece and Switerland this summer for 3 1/2 weeks and I'm trying to decide on what shoes to take. Normally, I'm good at packing light and figuring it all out, but because of the different types of destinations, I'm not so sure. This is where I am at:
- Hiking boots for sure for use in Switzerland & ancient ruins. These are actually not very heavy, just a little big.
- Some type of good walking sandal like a Keen, that is somewhat enclosed in toe area
- a light pair of black flat sandals for evenings.
- flip flops

What I'm trying to figure out is if I need an additional pair of shoes that is not a sandal but a totally enclosed comfortable walking type of shoe aside fromhiking boots. I can wear the hiking boots when visiting ruins and sandals in the few cities, so not sure how much I need another pair of shoes.

In Greece We'll be a day in Athens, then Santorini, Chania and drive around Peloponnese. In Switzerland, the B.O. area mostly and day or 2 near Apenzell.

Any thoughts from anyone?? Thanks.

noe847 Apr 28th, 2007 01:01 PM

I'd do either the Keens OR another pair of walking shoes, but not both. And maybe ditch the flip flops?

Rastaguytoday Apr 28th, 2007 02:20 PM

I talked to my wife, the shoe maven.

She is going next month with two pairs of shoes, wearing the bulkier ones on the plane.

For walking shoes she prefers SAS, which aren't too ugly.

This is down from 4 pairs her first trip to Europe with me. Yes, ditch the flip flops.

ira Apr 28th, 2007 02:48 PM

Hi M,

Why are you bringing flip flops when you are taking 2 prs of sandals?

((I))

wren Apr 28th, 2007 02:52 PM

Actually, I always bring a pair of flip-flops w/ me...I like to wear them in the hotel/apt. when I am just relaxing. They don't take much room and sure don't weigh anything.

mish42 Apr 28th, 2007 03:02 PM

Since we're staying at places with pools or on the beach in greece, thought the flip flops (which weigh nothing)would be good to go to and from pool or beach as well as use like slippers around hotel rooms. They can get dirty, wet etc. no problem.

annw Apr 28th, 2007 04:15 PM

I agree about bringing the flip flops--very light, very thin, useful in the hotel and in beach environments, and cheap enough to ditch if you get really pressed for space later or they get grungy. Otherwise it sounds like you have enough shoes.

noe847 Apr 28th, 2007 04:57 PM

You'll be fine if you have a pair of shoes that you can walk in all day - in addition to the hiking boots.

skatedancer Apr 28th, 2007 05:51 PM

what about hiking shoes rather than boots?

sglass Apr 28th, 2007 06:02 PM

How strenuous will your hiking be? I wore my Keen's to hike the length of the CT trail and the traction was excellent and the toe protection, too- and only once or twice, all that day, did little gravel bits get in the openings- and it was pretty gravelly in places. They would be equally useful for clambering around ruins. The advantage is that you could wear them on the plane, since they are heavy- leaving just the dressier flat sandals and flip flops for your suitcase. In fact, that is exactly what I took for my trip- some days I used the black sandals for a city/museum day and I agree that flip flops are worth it for the hotel and general back-up purposes.

schnauzer Apr 28th, 2007 07:48 PM

If it is summer then I wouldn't take another pair of walking shoes, they will probably be too hot for your feet. It sounds like the Keens will be good enough for all the city walking. I have a pair of Munro walking sandles and they were great when we did Paris and Rome a couple of autumns ago. Take the flip flops, and the flat blacks for evening wear. It sounds like you have already done a great job of working out what you will need, stick with the original plan.