Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Attn: Leslie...you mentioned you stayed at the Thistle Bloomsbury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:23 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leslie:

Can you give me specifics about the hotel? It looks like a great location. We're flying into Heathrow at 8 a.m. on Sunday, 9/28. We're planning on taking the Tube to the hotel to at least drop off our luggage if they don't have a room that early. It's our first trip to London. The Tube ride and change looks easy. Will we have a problem with it from your experiences? We're VERY familiar with the Metro in Washington D.C. which looks fairly similar only on a smaller scale of what I see as far as the Tube. Any ideas?? Any ideas of good places to eat near the hotel for breakfast or dinner??? Thanks a million!

Tia
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tia, The tube ride to your hotel will be extremely easy from Heathrow. What change are you referring to? It should be a straight shot on the Picadilly line.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:41 AM

Tia, I took the Heathrow Express to Paddington, and then took a cab to the hotel. As long as there are rooms available at check in, the hotel will allow you to check in early in the morning. Otherwise, the concierge will take your luggage, give you a card (like a receipt when you check your coat) and lock your luggage in a secure room. You can pick it up later. Breakfast was included in my room rate, and it was a large buffet with many choices, both hot and cold. However, there are plenty of coffee shops, take away shops, pubs and cafes in the neighborhood to choose from.

I am a very spur of the moment person when it comes to dining, and since I went to the theatre each night I was in London, I stopped in anywhere that was close by. I do recall eating in a Indian restaurant near Mamma Mia, but there are so many restaurants in that area, I couldn't even tell you the name of it. Friends of mine picked it out. I'm not a big fan of curry, but dinner was very good.

I do know that you can take the tube from Heathrow and switch lines and get off at Russell Square and walk to the hotel, however, taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington took only 15 minutes, and the cab was under 5 pounds, and it took about 10 minutes. Taking the tube into London takes about an hour as there are a lot of stops. On my return to Heathrow, the express was not running as someone had jumped on the tracks and committed suicide, so I was forced to take the tube. Luckily, I had time to spare, but it was a lengthy ride compared to taking the Heathrow Express.

Now about the hotel. It is decorated in the Edwardian style, but the furnishings and rooms were recently updated over the last 2 years. I had a room in one of the turrets on the 5th or 6th floor. The room was satisfactory for 1 or 2 people, however, I had a single room. The single room actually had a queen-sized bed, where the double rooms have two twin beds. There was a color TV with remote control, and it was either a satellite or cable system because there were a variety of channels. The TV also had a radio built in it. There was also an upholstered chair by the TV, a closet with pants press and safe, a desk with internet hookup, desk chair, tea kettle, tea and coffee set up. The room was well apportioned with nice linens, and initmately lit. The bathroom was enormous and very well lit. There was plenty of hot water, a large tub for soaking, and nice bath products, although Thistle's name was on them. You can pick up complimentary newspapers by the elevator on the floor that your room is located on. There are two elevators.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:44 AM

Forgot to mention that the Thistle Bloomsbury is around the corner from the British Museum. It is also about a 15 minute walk to Covent Garden, Leicester Square or Piccadilly Circus. The hotel is in a perfect location to walk to and from the majority of the theatres in the evening. Also, there are a few different buses that stop right in front of the hotel. If you don't want to walk to Piccadilly, it's about a 5 minute bus ride.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:54 AM

Tia: Just to stress obxgirl's comment about the tube (since leslie repeated your same misconception)

There is NO line change from LHR to Russell Square. You get on at the airport and get off at Russell sq - could not be easier.

The Paddington Express/Taxi combo would be about 20 minutes faster but cost almost £40 more for the two of you when you factor in the two train tix, cab fare and tip.

Not advising against train/taxi - just explaining that there is no tube change and the cost difference.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tia,

Everyone has their own preferred method of getting into London. I agree with janis that the Pad Express/taxi to hotel is one of the more expensive ways to travel. The trip on the Picadilly line is about 45 minutes and and should be a breeze on a Sunday morning.

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:05 AM
Tia
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for posting! You're such a huge help!! I'll have to look again at the Tube map. It looked like we had to change, but maybe not. I've got a few weeks to plan now. I think we'll take the Tube just to save some $$ for other fun things while we're there!! Leslie, thanks for all the details about the hotel. I'm even more excited now!! I may have some more questions for you in the near future if you don't mind!! Thanks again everyone!

Tia

P.S. Do you think we should try to request a room in one of the turrets if there's one available when we check in? Do you recall if they have hair dryers? I priced a converter this weekend and they were like $25, so I was thinking of leaving my hair dryer at home to save the money if they have one. My hubby said he read somewhere they do, but have to find out for sure as my hair is out of control curley and I'd look horrible if I couldn't dry my lovely curls in the morning!! Ha, ha.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:15 AM

'Stayed at the Thistle Bloomsbury in March 03.

The closest Tube station in Holborn. Holborn is on the same line that comes out of Heathrow. You won't need to transfer.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:18 AM

Tia, there are blow dryers in the bathroom. I was in London in November and I used the blow dryer both for my hair and also to dry of my umbrella before I packed it away.

You might find the turret rooms on the small side for two people if you have more than 1 piece of luggage. The turret rooms are on the narrow side - not much floor space. But, I didn't find the room small for one person. Of course, you could put your luggage up on the desk - I left my 22" on the floor and didn't unpack as I was only there for 3 nights.

I would think that rooms are on a first come, first served basis, but there is no harm in calling Thistle's 800 number and having the request noted on your reservation.

By the way, my room fronted on Bloomsbury Way, and although this is a main drag, the only thing across the street from the hotel was a building that was either an apartment building or one that housed lecture halls for one of the nearby universities.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:46 PM

Okay. You've helped me make a decision. I needed a hotel for 11-13 Oct and was considering the Thistle Bloomsbury or the Thistle Westminster. The Bloomsbury has a special rate of 38.50 GBP per night for a single standard so I took it.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind about this hotel.