Reload this Page >

Attn: Foodies Restaurante Codex Calixtinus

Notices

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I's share the menu from Codex Calixtinus for Nov/Dec. We dined at this wonderful Michelin rated retaurant in the Segovia province in May. It is 5 minutes from Pedraza de La Sierra.
The dinner was fabulous. Also the owner Juan Manuel is planning on giving cooking classes soon...
Highly recomended!

* Los entusiastas de la cocina están de enhorabuena. En Calixtinus proponemos un menú para vuestra Cena de Nochevieja.

Rollitos crujientes de morcilla con salsa agridulce.
Gelé de Percebes en crema tibia de guisantes.
Hígado de foie en mi-cuit, con reducción al Pedro Ximénez.
Lomos de Rodaballo asado con Carbonara de verduras.
Cochinillo confitado, espinacas pasas y piñones y puré de piña tropical.
Infusión de cítricos a la hierba Luisa con granizado de caramelo.
(Todos los platos tienen alternativas por si existen otras preferencias.)

Durante noviembre y diciembre, de martes a viernes, os mostraremos en 3 horas participativas a elaborar los platos propuestos. El objetivo es enseñar a realizar y conservar estos platos haciéndolos en varios días de forma tranquila,… de ese modo nuestro tiempo de Navidad lo dedicaremos a otros compromisos, familia, compras,… Los asistentes, posteriormente tomarán un menú degustación del restaurante. Precio todo incluido 40 €.

* El 23.11.2007 a las 21’00 h. presentaremos un vino de Reserva de las Bodegas Balbás, Denominación Ribera del Duero. En la presentación del vino habrá una cata comentada, ofreciendo las características del Pago escogido para este vino, la selección en vendimia y los diferentes pasos para alcanzar el nivel optimo y redondo que tiene ahora este vino de corte moderno. Concluidos los comentarios técnicos daremos paso a un menú degustación del restaurante que tendrá como maridaje al citado vino. Estamos ultimando la posibilidad de un recital literario para concluir este evento. Precio todo incluido 40 €.

La ampliación de estas actividades, rogamos las canalice, vía e-mail. Gracias.

saludos,
Juan Manuel Pretel

P Antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrese de que es necesario. El medio ambiente está en nuestra mano.
Codex Calixtinus
Caces, 6
40163 Cañicosa-Segovia
[email protected]
www.codexcalixtinus.com

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Muchas gracias, Ana! Espero que muy pronto puedo regresar at Pedraza para visitar Storkie y cenar con Juan Manuel!

Thanks for posting this..I MUST get back there soon!

eks
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Yes we must!
We did not get to meet Juan in person but he is SO very accomodating & as you can see the menu is really flexible. Codex was not at all pretentious and the atmosphere was lovely & warm with a big stone fireplace. And after comparing all the big lunches and dinners we had on our eating spree throught Madrid & Segovia, in comparison the final tab at Codex was really very reasonable.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM

I think it is extremely RUDE to post this in Spanish so we English speakers can't understand it. Very Rude, indeed. What if I started posting all my reports in French?

You are a very rude poster.

Thingorjus
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM

M_M/ Thingorjus- I think we know who the rude one is. Careful on the troll-like behavior tonight....
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM

great place and thanks for posting this. i will certainly try to get my family up there at one point in 2008.
always fun to try new finds.

have any other great ones???
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi Thingorjus.

I am so surprised by your reaction and realize there must be some misunderstanding.

The special holiday menu was written by the owner of the (Spanish) restaurant Codex. Since it's a bit more complicated than the usual, I simply did not have the time to translate. This is a unique place and I wanted to share the information quickly, while on the run. It certainly was not my intention to be rude or to exclude anyone on purpose. I have seen many posts peppered with languanges other than English, in partiular French, and thought nothing of it.

Those familiar with my posts know that I put alot of time & effort in explanations (including translations of examples of menus) for the benefit of everyone here. It is a matter of record my dear, although the last thing I thought would be necessary here on Fodors would be to defend myself.
I am an unusually helpful & considerate person and live life by not hurting others. I also refuse to engage in "tit for tat" (something I see is more common in the lounge.)

So to be clear, please understand this was not meant to exclude you or prevent you from understanding.
However I see that it has offended you and I am very sorry as I did not mean for that to happen.
On the contrary, I would love to share this marvelous place with you and the other Fodorites some day.
It's a great restaurant not far from Segovia proper.

Ana Maria
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Lin:

Yes if you are asking for other good places nearby there is also Yantar in Pedraza. A roasting tavern specializing in the famous suckling lamb & baby pig (although Codex also does those along so many other things)

We loved Yantar and it is a must see. They are only open for lunch.
Here is the link http://web.elyantardepedraza.com:8117/

I learned about Yantar from EKS & Maribel on a previous (now famous) post where you could almost taste the lamb and it's succulent juices through the screen.....

ams
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Ana: Lincas asked about other great places. I have to say that I think that El Yantar qualifies as great, though of a different order of greatness. I think you will agree. I have just spent 15 minutes trying to post their weblink, to no avail.. It can be Googled under El Yantar de Pedraza, but for some reason part of the web address does not post here..

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Scrunchita I see were were on the same wavelength this morning.
Can you beleive I am up at 5 am (CA time) fantasizing about suckling lamb? It will be hard to enjoy my poor little sack lunch at work today I think!

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Ok I am not sure why but it looks like

www.elyantardepedraza.net

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Wow..it did work. But look at the top, at the address with the numbers after the name..when I tried to post the link....oh, never mind. I am a computer idiot! Thanks for posting this.

Buscamos lo sabroso!!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:25 AM

Oh, I just read your post right before the one with the link. It is really amazing that the two of us, in our two different time zones, are salivating over the baby lamb...
so now I can tell my partner (who already thinks/knows that I am a nut) that I am not the only one!!!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Here's a babelfish translation:
____________________________________Restaurant Codex Calixtinus, presents our activities for November and December *

The enthusiastic ones of the kitchen are of enhorabuena. In Calixtinus we propose a menu for your Supper of Nochevieja.

Rollitos crujientes of blood sausage with bittersweet sauce.
Gelé de Percebes in lukewarm cream of peas.
Liver of foie in my-cuit, with reduction to the Pedro Ximénez. Backs of Rodaballo roasted with Turned into charcoal of vegetables. Confitado Cochinillo, spinach you pass and pinions and puré of tropical fragmentation hand grenade.
Infusion of citruses to the Luisa grass with caramel water ice. (All the plates have alternatives in case other preferences exist.)

During November and December, of Tuesday to Friday, we will show to you in 3 hours participativas to elaborate proposed plates.

The objective is to teach to make and to conserve these plates doing them in several days of calm form... that way our time of Christmas we will dedicate it to other commitments, family, purchases... the assistants, later will take a menu tasting from the restaurant. Price everything including E40.

The 23.11.2007 to 21'00 h. we will present/display a wine of Reserve of the Balbás Warehouses, Denomination Shore of the Duero. In the presentation of the wine there will be one tastes commented, offering the characteristics of the Payment selected for this wine, the selection in vendimia and the different steps to reach the optimal and round level that has this wine of modern cut now. Concluded the technical commentaries we will give to passage to a menu tasting of the restaurant that it will have as maridaje to the mentioned wine. We are completing the possibility of a literary recital to conclude this event. Price everything including E40.

The extension of these activities, we requested canalizes them, via email. Thanks.

Greetings,

Juan Manuel Pretel

P. Before printing this message, that asegúrese of is necessary. The medio.ambiente is in our hand. Codex Calixtinus Millraces,

6 40163 Cañicosa-Segovia 921504206 [email protected]

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM

I am assuming that this resto is only reachable by car. No? It looks fantastic.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Here's a babelfish translation:

It is neither babel or fish !
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 09:51 AM

?
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM

It does not mean anything
"spinach you pass"????
Pasas = raisins in Spanish.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I think it was easier to read the menu in Spanish. And I don't know Spanish. But I love that translation. Who could resist the "puré of tropical fragmentation hand grenade"?
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM

I am not a troll, and I resent being called a troll. I have been posting in Fodorville for over 7 years.

I, personally, think it is very rude to post in Spanish, German, French, etc., on an English-language forum.

Why share info. if very few can understand it?

I accept your apology, Ana Maria.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information