Attire for Concerts at Schloss Mirabel

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attire for Concerts at Schloss Mirabel

We have just purchased two dinner/concert tickets for Schloss Mirabel on July 1. I am now wondering if we can dress fairly casual, sclacks shirt for both. We are mostly outdoor people, I don't even own a suit. Will we be able to go decently clad (no shorts hiking attire, etc) and not be considered Ugly Americans? Any suggestions as to what's acceptable?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Does this concert seem to you like one that is geared to tourists? If so, you will see everything but I would err on the side of dressing conservatively and wear slacks and a nice shirt. If the venue required suits/ties and all that, I think they would advise same. Even at the Vienna Opera House I have seen almost everything from formal wear to casual but I don't think, thank goodness, any shorts or muscle tees. (as an aside, what was interesting and lovely to see a the opera were people in Viennese and Austrian formal dresses and men's wear--think "Sound of Music" only better.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cath,

I am a sucker for a man in a loden jacket...

gruezi
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
ira

Hi C,

A gentleman always wears a jacket when dining in public.

You can always take it off.

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM

I don't believe those are the kind of tourist concerts you can find in various cities, including Salzburg. That venue is a regular concert hall with a lot of good performances, and the dinner-concert tickets they sell there are really just a package that includes dinner at a nearby restaurant, and a regular concert.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
JN

I have attended concerts at all three main Salzburg locations (St, Peters, the Fortress and Schloss Mirabel). People attending St. Peters had the most formal attire, followed by Schloss Mirabel.I did see, though, a few folks in jeans.

I'd say nowadays formality is less important in tourist areas. If you wanted to stand out a bit less, I'd say you could go: 1) dress casual or 2) a bit more formal through either a shirt and tie or shirt and sport jacket.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Shirt with tie but without jacket is not considered formal (except in temperatures around 35°C).

Shirt and jacket without tie is not considered formal either.