Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Attention Fodorites: Need your expert advise on Lake Como or Lugano

Aug 20th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Nancy

Just started planning a trip June 2002 for this area. Any good ideas for places to stay or villas, apts. to rent? Will start the trip in Geneva then on to Zermatt and down to one of the lakes in No. Italy. Probably take the train until Italy then rent a car. Whole trip about three weeks.
Thank you, I know alot of you have been there, done that....

Aug 20th, 2001, 09:40 PM
Nancy

Umm, that should be advice, sorry Teach.

Aug 21st, 2001, 03:15 PM
xxx

I would think if you are taking the train into Italy you would be coming into Milan. If so, rent a car and stay in a location between the two lakes (maybe Varese) and go see both. The swiss border is only a few minutes from Varese and you can get to Lugano very easily and quick.
Como is no problem from there either.
You would even have the chance to see Lake Maggiore also in that area.

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:08 PM
Betsy

I would definitely recommend visiting or staying for a night in Bellagio on Lake Como.

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:25 PM
Rex

You don't say how many people you have in mind for renting a villa, but you might try this place - - assuming you mean a week-long rental: www.villacamilla.it - - I was hoping to get a look at it last September, but couldn't get it worked out with the owner, Massimo Morazzoni. In an e-mail to me last July, he told me "Villa Camilla is a private villa and we rent it all at one time, but we are planning to turn it into a B&B." - - but from my review of their webpage, perhaps they are still doing self-catering rentals.

Best wishes,

Rex

Aug 21st, 2001, 10:09 PM
BTilke

In the Lugano area, I highly recommend the Hotel Parco Lago in Caslano, just over the Ponte Tresa bridge from Italy. Caslano is a pretty small town about 20 minutes from Lugano. It's on the lake and has a little park and its own private beach for swimming. Free parking and the rooms are large, comfortable and have balconies overlooking the lake and small, well equipped kitchens (the hotel also has a restaurant if you don't feel like cooking). Price is about $110/night for a double including large breakfast. We have some pictures of Lugano on our computer, so if you email me privately I could send them to you.
BTilke

Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:47 AM
Suze

You should deffinitely include Varenna on Lake Como. We stopped at Albergo Olivedo right at the ferry stop. The ferrys carry cars and passengers and leaves very regularly for towns all around the lake. The antics of the ferrymen coming and going were also interesting. Varenna has an absolutely wonderful pathway along the edge of the Lake where everyone, tourists and locals, promenade each evening.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 06:18 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Nancy, I know the area well and have some ideas for you. Coming from Zermatt, the most direct route will be from Brig over the Simplon pass. The question will be where to get your car. I would suggest in CH not in Italy. The drive from Brig to Stresa or Locarno is very scenic. I would opt to stay at Stesa to enjoy the Lakes. You may want to consider Lago Orta as well--my favorite Lakes venue. There are lots of choices--all good. Let me know more and perhaps I can help more. How much time in the Lakes? Where do you go from there? Why not consider 2 destinations in the Lakes? It is hard to see it all from only one location.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:26 PM
Barb

Suze: Did you stay there? We are staying at that hotel Sept. 27th for two nights. It sounds lovely, can't wait.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:49 PM
Nancy

Thanks all of you for the advice.
There will be up to four of us.
Bob, I think about 10 days in Switzerland, including Zermatt, then about 10 more around the lakes. Two different bases sounds like a good idea.
I am still sorting through all your ideas. Thanks again.