Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   attention FASHION conscious.... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/attention-fashion-conscious-142859/)

anon Jan 17th, 2002 05:33 AM

attention FASHION conscious....

MILAN (Reuters) - Italian fashion designer Giorgio Armani, creator of some<BR>of the world's most expensive clothes, says he is fed up with luxury.<BR><BR>``I'll tell you something. Luxury disgusts me,'' the designer was quoted as<BR> saying in Italian newspapers. He urged young fashion fans to put their craze for designer labels into perspective. ``I want young people to understand that today's world is false. They must understand that it is absurd to prostitute oneself or to steal just to get a designer bag because they think that without it they are nobody,'' he said.<BR><BR>

Dina Jan 17th, 2002 06:08 AM

I suppose one could respect Armani for even paying lip service to that idea, but if luxury disgusts him (after all these years?) he could put his money where his mouth is. Donate the bulk of his millions to a worthy cause, and I don't mean financing an impoverished Armani wannabe through the Paris Fashion Insitute (if there is one.)<BR>Maybe what he really means is that his filthy rich customers are disgusted at all the middle class social climbers and nouveau riche who are beginning to resemble them, thanks to their designer duds.

MaryC Jan 17th, 2002 06:10 AM

Yes, Dina, and when one of his clients walks around the corner to visit the local prostitute, GASP!, she has the SAME BAG as his wife. ; )

Joanne Jan 17th, 2002 08:30 AM

First YSL and now this! What next--the stripes will fall off my Gucci bag?<BR><BR>what will we do?<BR><BR>j

girly Jan 17th, 2002 08:32 AM

Next thing you know-we will have to start putting our own graffiti on our purses!<BR>What is this world coming to!!

L Jan 17th, 2002 08:53 AM

One always has the option of becoming more independent. In NYC, women are quite stylish ... will this all fall apart with the bye-bye of YSL or Armani's protestations? Hardly seems likely. Leave the plaids at the Jersey border, and trust your instincts. After all, YSL for many years has not been designing or making for anyone spending under $10,000 per frock. Hardly an influence you'll miss. I suppose this is Armani's approach to hyping something on the market. Kinda an upscale Benetton approach possibly. Ciao

John G Jan 17th, 2002 11:32 AM

Just like they taught us at Miss Porter's: Never look like a hooker with a Fendi baguette. <BR><BR>Ciao, <BR>John G.

Gender Jan 17th, 2002 11:45 AM

John -<BR>Did you enjoy your time at Miss Proter's School for Girls?

John G Jan 17th, 2002 12:02 PM

Boy, Gender Bender, for someone with dyslexia you certainly are sharp!!<BR><BR>No, I didn't enjoy my time at Miss Porter's. The girls all made fun of me because of my unwanted facial hair and husky voice. I was, however, very good at field hockey. <BR><BR>It is nice to know that the "little people" think about my life. Thanks.

Capo Jan 17th, 2002 12:03 PM

Article at: <BR><BR>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020117/re/life_fashion_armani_dc_1.html<BR><BR>So Armami wants to pay homage to workers with his latest outfits of flat caps, military boots and...donkey jackets?? Has he been channeling Chairman Mao? <BR><BR>How about if I save money by skipping Armani's latest, wearing my own jacket, and just making an ass of myself? :~)

c Jan 17th, 2002 12:24 PM

Capo _ I know it was a typo but it was funny all the same...Armami? <BR>

Gender Jan 17th, 2002 12:31 PM

John, <BR>Just because I suffer from dysexlia doesnt mean that I am a little person! I too attended Miss Proter's, as my Daddy is a bigwig at Enron and bought my way into boarding school. Good thing I already graduated, cause there is no way I would get in now! <BR><BR>Oh well - see you at Armami!

Capo Jan 17th, 2002 12:52 PM

Did I spell it Armami? Curses! What I really meant was Our Mammy, the matron saint of fashion: Our Mammy of Perp&eacute;tuel et Cher Haute Couture.

MaryC Jan 17th, 2002 08:58 PM

JohnG, LOL, I very much appreciate your 1st comment!! : )<BR><BR>But do diamond baguettes count?

John G Jan 18th, 2002 12:13 PM

Mary, as you well know, diamonds, an AMEX Platinum Card, and alimony are a girl's best friends.

Capo Jan 18th, 2002 02:03 PM

*LOL*! Yes, many gay guys do have a great sense of humor. And many of us straight guys know the names of at least a few overpaid fashion designers (instead of overpaid jocks.) :~) <BR><BR>I noticed in that yahoo.com article about Armani that he's wearing -- as I once read he always wears -- his plain black t-shirt. But no donkey jacket.

MaryC Jan 22nd, 2002 07:32 PM

Yes, JohnG dahlink, true true!!<BR><BR>And Capo! You are so perfect!! So witty, so charming, so intelligent, so irreverent, so nonplussed. This why all of us women love you so. We don't care what you look like, how old you are, or even if you have a girlfriend. We all just want to run off with you to Paris for the weekend (or destination of choice). : ) Sigh!!!