Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ATTENTION: Fans of The Amazing Race (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/attention-fans-of-the-amazing-race-579141/)

baker Jan 5th, 2006 04:29 PM

ATTENTION: Fans of The Amazing Race

To all those who are fans of The Amazing Race...did you know that NBC is going to have a show called Treasure Hunters where teams of 3 circle the globe in search of clues that will lead them to a fortune? Go to NBC.com and put the show name in SEARCH; it will take you to a screen where you can get a short video preview. I'm excited about this new show because on a September trip to france my husband and I were in Place de la Concorde when 3 young men came running along, followed by others with cameras and clipboards. They approached me and asked for directions to "a bridge trimmed in gold with a nearby statue of someone who could be called a friend to Americans". We followed a saw them "discover" their next clue at a statue of Lafayette. Rather exciting!!

oneillchris Jan 5th, 2006 05:01 PM

Canadian who is a little upset with Amazing Race:-

I loved the concept it especially thought it was great and represented the best values gained by travel but the last episode highlighted the two top sports in Canada as Curling and Log Rolling. PS we do not live in Igloos, we do not roll logs for the most part. Come on my american friends, you know more anout france and Iraq than your own neighbors.

PS this is not a bash America post, I hate that, just a bash the Amazing race post.

SusanEva Jan 5th, 2006 06:32 PM

Hi Oneillchris,

Agree with you that this last Amazing Race was pretty wimpy. So much beauty and diversity in your lovely country. They seemed to really stereotype the American South as well.

If you could advise the show, what would be some of the sites/activities you would wish they had featured?

Best wishes, SusanEva

baker Jan 6th, 2006 06:49 AM

I agree with both of you about the stereotyping of Canadians and our 2 big sports...log rolling and curling. And by the way, I am Canadian too which is what I told the young men who approached me for directions in Paris. So here's hoping this Canadian face (or voice) makes it onto the American show. Hubby and I wish Amazing Race allowed couples from other countries to participate as well.

JJ5 Jan 6th, 2006 07:23 AM

I can't wait to see the Treasure Hunters, I will watch. Thanks!

TV trivializes and compacts everything in life into its worst generalizations, look at sit coms. UGH!

I don't know why you would be surprised at their doing it to Canada. Across the Media they sterotype cities too. Outside of real documentaries, PBS etc., which are slow and most people do not watch- I think all or most of TV does this. That's why I love to read the books.

martytravels Jan 6th, 2006 07:27 AM

speaking of AR, does anyone know when the next season starts? Hopefully they'll abandon the silly family format and actually travel the world again. The last season was a dud.

Barbara Jan 6th, 2006 08:19 AM

The next TAR season starts during the February sweeps and is the "traditional" two-person team format.