Attending debates in the houses of parliament

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be visiting London at the end of August and I have an interest in visiting Parliament to watch a debate. Does anyone have tips on the best/easiest way to gain entry (through the US embassy? or just showing up and waiting on line?) and if so, what the process is like - how long is the wait, how early should we be, is it likely you'll be turned away, how long do you stay - can you leave whenever you'd like? Is there an appreciable difference between visiting a debate at the House of Lords vs. the House of Commons? Might they even be on holiday & thus not in session?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
All the info you need is on the website http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/

Click on 'overseas visitors' . . .
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Meant to add - Parliament is on summer recess until October so a tour (which is possible only during the recess) is your best bet.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I'm an American living in Italy, and I simply sailed into the House of Commons early one evening, without a queue at all, since it was about 7pm. Can't be sure, but I suspect that later in the day, provided debates are going on that late, is a much, much easier time than earlier in the day. I actually didn't have a plan to go. I just happened to be walking by, noticed that there wasn't a queue, and went in.

I found it quite interesting and no one seemed interested in booting me out. I was surprised that when I left, nobody seemed to mind I poked around inside the building staring at tombs in the floor etc.

I lived in London some years ago, and thus don't try to cram in lots of tourist activities when I re-visit. Still, I think I can recommend that if you've a choice between drinking another beer at another ye-olde-pub and taking a flyer on the House of Commons at twillight, the House of Commons might be the more fascinating way to spend an hour -- and that might be true of many of the more shouted-about "must'sees" in London (like tea or the Eye).
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM

I was able to experience both houses during a visit here. I found the Lords chamber very attractive but the debate really dull. The Commons chamber was more plain but the debate was more interesting and polished. There's always a chance I hit the Commons on a good evening and Lords on a bad one, but that was my experience, in any event.

I went in late March in the evening and experienced no lines to get in, either.

Would definitely recommend seeing the inside of Parliament in general, which I found both richly decorated and architecturally interesting.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your quick & helpful replies. I see that Parliament is on break until October, which I guess means we'll have to come back again some other time to see them in action.

So zeppole, your early evening experience refers to visiting a debate while they were in session, not a summer tour... because on the website it appears that those tours are only given during the day. Am I correct?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I suspect zeppole missed the bit in your OP about traveling in August. Anyone can see debates - but only when they are in session.

Tours are during the day.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM

j, I didn't miss the travel dates. I just don't keep track of when Parliament is in session.

amynuzz, you are correct.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM

j, i was typing while you were posting about oct.