Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ATM's in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/atms-in-rome-57139/)

mheiman Nov 22nd, 1999 11:53 PM

ATM's in Rome

Has anyone had problems using ATM's in Rome? I understand from the most recent Fodor's that a minimum 5 digit pin number is required and our card system allows a maximum of 4 digits. Mel Heiman

Karen Nov 23rd, 1999 02:10 AM

In March 99, I used my VISA/MAC card with a 4-digit PIN without any difficulty at "bancomats" all around Rome.

Beth Nov 23rd, 1999 05:55 AM

Fodor's must be mistaken. A 4 digit pin is all that is required. And I have read elsewhere that MORE than 4 digits can be a problem. We had no trouble with our ATM card, although there were frequent network outages. So occasionally the ATM just wouldn't work. SO my recommendation is don't wait until you have NO money before you go withdraw some more.

Paul Nov 23rd, 1999 05:58 AM

I concur with Beth. I was in Rome in Sept-Oct, and I used my ATM with 4 digit PIN without any problems. As to outages, hey - sometimes the ATMs at my bank at home are out as well! I've not encountered any problem with ATM machines in Italy in the past 2 years. There also seem to be plenty of them around!

pam Nov 23rd, 1999 08:08 AM

In May/June 1999 I used Bancomats in Rome. The first experience was rather traumatic: the machine didn't want to talk to me, and then a pigeon anointed my head.... As I calmed down, I spotted another Bancomat not 100 yards away, and it worked fine. (4-digit PIN) Keep in mind your daily withdrawal limit--and remember the Roman ATMs are not going to give you a $400 option...you'll see 3 or 4 amounts in lire from which to choose.

Caminante Nov 23rd, 1999 11:09 AM

One problem we encountered using ATMs in <BR>Italy was that we couldn't take out more than $250 at any of the ATMs. Since we were charged $3 per withdrawal at home, I had hoped only to make one or two withdrawals in Italy and ended up making much more. I haven't had that problem in <BR>France or Spain.

lola Nov 23rd, 1999 11:45 AM

Had another problem at an ATM by the Termini in Rome last March. While withdrawing money my husband had his pocket-picked. Be extremely careful, as it is often noted in this forum.

Mark Nov 30th, 1999 10:12 AM

I had read same thing in Fodors. It is not true- a four digit number worked. I was able to use my card in Florence. However, I tried twice in Rome without success. (I don't know why I was unable to get funds). My advise, carry cash in money belt, just in case and put every thing you can on your credit card.

Brogan Nov 30th, 1999 05:59 PM

I was actually told by the travel agent to get a 4 digit pin number (mine had more). This travel agent specializes in Italy and goes all the time.

howard Dec 1st, 1999 12:20 PM

We just got back from Italy and had absolutely no problems using a 4-digit pin number with ATMs in Rome, Florence and Venice. (I just made sure the ATMs had instructions in English!) And, we got excellent rates--much better than the horrow stories I heard from people who went to change stores with travelers checks.