Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Atms in France/Italy? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/atms-in-france-italy-81361/)

Patricia Jul 31st, 2000 12:28 PM

Atms in France/Italy?

<BR> This may be a dumb question, but I really am wondering. I have a visa/check card, but also have a regular atm card issued by my bank that features the logos (Plus, Honor, Interlink, and Pulse). <BR> <BR> In France particularly, is plus definitely compatible with the Carte Bleue group and the atms in Paris. I figure it is, but would like someone who has actually been to verify --pretty please? <BR> <BR>Thanks so much! <BR>Patricia

x Jul 31st, 2000 03:08 PM

Visa and Mastercard both have areas on their websites that list locations of atms around the world and which affiliations they accept.

Patricia Jul 31st, 2000 03:18 PM

Yes, I have found the atm locators. I guess my confusion lies in the issue whether or not the visa and plus symbols are completely synonymous? Or do they translate into two different networks?? <BR> <BR>If I have an atm card that does not have the visa logo, but "says" it is plus compatible, am I assured that it will be accepted?? --anyone know of any problems, or situations where this is not true?? Many thanks! <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your help! <BR>Patricia

Patricia Jul 31st, 2000 03:33 PM

I did happen upon the visa locator, and had read that visa/plus compatible. this makes me think that plus is the foreign network for visa? Do you know if this is correct? Are they one? Or are Visa and Plus two different networks that are in association in which I can use both visa debits and plus affiliated bank cards? <BR> <BR>Is there any reason a regular bank card that does not have the visa logo will not work, if it does have the plus logo on it?? Anyone out there have any trouble in this regards? <BR> <BR>Thanks so Much! <BR>Patricia

elaine Aug 1st, 2000 04:27 AM

Patricia, <BR>I am no banking expert, but I believe the Plus and other atm networks indicate that your atm card should be accepted and will get you cash. The atm should be displaying which network(s) it is part of. <BR>I have a debit card that has a Mastercard logo on the front but on the back it also has logos for Cirrus and Nyce, two atm networks. For your atm card, that is the most important issue. When you go to an atm you need to make sure that your card's network matches at least one of the atm's networks. In large cities like Paris, this should be pretty easy as there are many atms. <BR>Take both cards, so that you have a backup.

Bob Aug 1st, 2000 04:30 AM

The card will tell you what systems you can use the card on. Look for Cirrus or Plus. Now check the front of the ATM machine for Cirrus or Plus (which ever your card is) if you have a match its a go. I like to use only ATMs which are in front of a Bank, not a free standing one. In your case your bank card uses the Plus system.

Patricia Aug 1st, 2000 07:51 AM

<BR> Thanks Elaine and Bob! To Bob, I do understand that visa/plus are compatible and mastercard is compatible with cirrus. <BR> <BR>I think my question delves a little more into the question of why these two names are compatible. <BR> <BR>Are visa and plus the same name, plus being the foreign representation or are they two separate networks that can be used interchangeably?? If the first is true, then anything with plus logo is technically a visa (OR) if second is true, either visa logo or plus logo separately will work at the same atm. <BR> <BR>And maybe my confusion lies in not truly understanding what is meant by the term "network"? Can anyone please explain. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your patience! :) <BR>Patricia

Bob Aug 1st, 2000 10:16 AM

I'll try. There two kinds of VISA cards for ATMs. The VISA credit card which will get cash from a credit line. Then you have the VISA/Plus ATM card which you get from your bank. This card will access your checking account. Now for your main question. PLUS are the people who have the ATM network. VISA and Plus have a business arraignment.