Search

London Pubs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:35 PM
toni

London Pubs

<BR>Can anyone tell me what their favourite pub is in London, and why? Also, any recommendations for quaint, cute or generally interesting chatty pubs around the Gloucester Rd. area would be appreciated. Any good ideas as well for pubs with good evening meals.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:45 PM
x

Toni: There are hundreds of pubs in London and most have good evening meals. They are on every corner and in the middle of most blocks.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:52 PM
toni

Yes, you're right, there are thousands of pubs in London just as there are in Sydney, where I live. However, personal recommendation is by far the best way of finding a really good place without ducking into every pub along the way. Hmmm may not be a bad idea? However, so many pubs and not enough time that's why other people's experiences are so valuable.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:44 AM
x_x_x

Just a suggestion, try reposting your request for pub recommendations and this time enter &quot;United Kingdom&quot; as the keyword. <BR>I think you will get some great personal recommendations from the Londoners who regularly read/post .<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:46 AM
xxx

Yea, good idea x_x_x_, as most regular posters won't realize that London is in the UK. Huh?????

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:49 AM
x_x_x

Well actually, the post asking about pub recommendations had fallen to #77 on the general Europe list when I suggested that Toni re-post but add UK as her keyword!<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Moonbeam

Along Glouster Rd near the tube there really are not that many pubs, I can only think of the Hereford, big, noisy certainly not quaint. There are lots of cafes and restaurants however.<BR>Belgo on Brompton Rd near the intersection with Glouster might fit you description, at certain times of the day, but they really prefer you to be having dinner or lunch along with your Belgian beer. Great mussels , there. You could walk up Glouster to Kings Rd , there are several along theree.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Carla

What x_x_x plainly meant is that the request for personal pub recommendations does NOT appear on the list of posts that are particular to the UK and that those regulars who supply great information on United Kingdom topics might not notice the question toni asked because it had fallen so far down the list of general Europe postings.<BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Mike

find the Lamb and Flag...it's in an ally and is local but is also hundreds of years old. I read about it in a travel book...Fodor's interestingly enough.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what you're looking for - for authenticity most Youngs Brewery pubs are relatively unspoilt and the ale is as British as it gets.<BR>However beware ALL central London pubs they are almost all tacky plastic tourist traps.<BR>Ian
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Toni,<BR><BR>Check out www.pubs.com-lists pubs be location and qualities.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:21 AM

The Lamb and Flag is in Convent Garden, nearest tube Convent Garden, Picadilly line.<BR>My personal favourite is De Hems, Macclesfield street, nearest tube Tottenham Court Road or Picaddilly - its actually a dutch pub - It serves excellent Dutch and Belgian beer and food, plenty of seating, perfect for a lazy afternoon, especially in the summer when the front doors are opened up into Chinatown.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:51 AM

The Lamb and Flag is a great pub!!, but somewhat difficult to find even if you've made your way to the Covent Garden tube stop.....<BR>I've had more than one &quot;local&quot; tell me they know its &quot;around here somewhere&quot;...so, just find your way to Rose Street, near the corner of King and Garrick, and you'll find the pub!<BR>You might also check out the Cittie of Yorke on High Holborn which serves a very nice lunch in a very &quot;traditional&quot; setting...<BR>Best wishes.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:28 AM

Once, a few years ago, I just started walking from Bloomsbury toward Covent Garden and beyond. I stopped at every pub I saw that looked interesting and had a half. I would then walk until nature called; stop in for a pee and another half. I covered an AMAZING amount of ground and never got unduly pissed because the walking seemed to balance things out. I kept a notebook of many pubs along the way. I particularly like an upscale place, The Princes Louise (ran into Richard Harris there), The White Hart (since remodeled and RUINED), etc. <BR><BR>Actually, one of my favorites is a very tourist-traveled pub, though in itself it is not particularly touristy. Right across from the British Museum is a small pub called the Museum Tavern (known for many a year as the Dog and Duck.) The secret to the place is to get their either early or late, basically after the crowds have abandoned the museum. I've also found it delightfully unoccupied around 3 or so in the afternoon on weekdays. Marx drank there, as did Dickens (but then where DIDN’T Dickens drink?)<BR><BR>The pub is on the National Register, which keeps in reasonably authentic. They have a variety of good beer and ale and acceptable grub. Again, the place is very small. If I walk by and see it is full of tourists I just keep walking. As one moves on toward the south there is Covent Garden and bucoup pubs, or to the west you’re going toward Soho, also pub-city. Enjoy and quaff a pint of their finest lager for me.<BR>
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:56 AM

OK, fourth time trying to post this:<BR>There is an easier way to find The Lamb and Flag (and the flat I rent is just a few yards away so I know it well):<BR><BR>When you exit Covent Garden Tube station turn right towards the Opera House and the Market. Take your first right onto Floral Street, a narrow cobblestoned street, vitually car-less. You will pass a number of young and trendy shops and The Sanctuary, an upscale women's day spa. Before you reach Garrick Street (the only real street you could come to) you will see a little archway through the wall on your left, with a sign for The Lamb and Flag. This is the back entrance. Just be sure to duck so you don't hit your head on the narrow little passageway. (But I assure you, you probably will hit your head on your way back out, especially if it is some hours later).
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Our favorite and first Pub that we ever went into is on the small street beside Selfridges leading to Duke Street where the Wallace Collection can be found. I never got the name of it but it is great, good lunch and very nice atmosphere. Anyone with a good knowledge of pubs in the area can have fun thinking of which one it is<BR>The other is the Albert. Right at the end of Buckingham Gate away from the Palace. They serve large and hot meals and can be just the right thing on a Sunday evening when you want some hot carbs to fill up on.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Gee, just checked my post because it sank like a rock without much response and was surprised to see all the great info. Thanks guys, or should I say Cheers!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Gee, just checked my post because it sank like a rock without much response and was surprised to see all the great info. Thanks guys, or should I say Cheers!