ATM's in Rome

Jul 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

ATM's in Rome

Has anyone had any trouble using their bank cards and withdrawing money? I would rather not carry around alot of cash but was warned ( by my Italian boss) not to use the ATM's. He seemed think we could be robbed
Jul 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM

It's possible no Italian since the Medicis have understood or trusted banks and banking. Many still have houses stuffed with cash in socks, from which they pay their bills.

I use an ATM all the time in Italy. In Roma, many of them are outside on pubic streets. Have a friend spot you from behind during the transaction if you don't feel completely comfortable, and don't just slip your wallet full of money immediately into your pocket or purse. Keep a grip on it for awhie.
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Used several Italian ATM's in four different Italian towns and had no trouble.
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM

I've used the ATMs many times in Italy and never had a problem.
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM

We used ATMs in Rome with no problem.

Woody
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM

I use ATM's everyweek in Rome and think that they are the only way to go. I would recommend using ones that aren't in the middle of everything and everyone to see and as others have said, just always look around and up above you before starting your transaction.Some banks/ATM's actually have security guards posted by them for your security.

When you are finished with your transaction, be sure to push down the number keys to clear out whatever you have pushed in and ALWAYS wait for your receipt!
Jul 18th, 2008, 07:54 PM

No problems with Rome ATMs.
Jul 19th, 2008, 06:44 AM

In Europe, I always try to use ATMs inside the doorway of the actual bank.I feel safer and, just in case there is a problem, they can help me.In Rome, an ATM machine did not return my card and I was able to retrieve it the next day from the bank. As yet, in Europe I have seen very few ATMs like in the US where you just swipe the card.I feel so much better with that type.
Jul 20th, 2008, 01:44 AM

I have just come back from Italy and I didnt have any problems with the Atm's. Just a few words of advice make sure you dont go by yourself to withdraw money take a friend, partner etc. Also dont withdraw money from train stations as they are very crowded with undesirable hanging around.
Jul 20th, 2008, 05:47 AM

I would steer clear of ATMs in Termini, just because there are so many people milling around, some of them nefarious-looking, but I'd stick to that rule pretty much anywhere in the world.

I've used ATMs all over Rome on a number of occasions without incident. I do, whenever possible when traveling anywhere, have a travel companion watch my back when I'm making a withdrawal. If that's not possible, I try to find a machine that's inside a bank or store or where there are few people around. It's just commonsense - and I follow the same procedures at home in the USA.