ATM's in Ireland

Old May 14th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM's in Ireland

Still finalizing our trip to Ireland on June 10th. Re: ATM's, I have read that some machines will only accept 6 digit pin numbers and that banks advise you to add 00 in front of your pin number. Has anyone found this to be true? Also have read that some machines run out of money and you better stock up. I plan on doing this!
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:18 AM

We've never had any problem with our 4 digit PIN numbers in Ireland or anywhere else in Europe.

There are ATMs all over the place, so I don't think you'll need to worry about "stocking up".

If one machine is out of money, just go to another one.

Have a great trip!
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM

Just returned from Ireland. Used my ATM card everywhere (never used a credit card) and NEVER had a problem with my 4-digit number.
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Over the past 7-years I have visited Ireland about 12-times. I always use a 4-digit pin # ATM Card. Only once (on Market Sq., Newcastlewest County Limerick) have I encountered an 'out of cash' condition but there were other Bank ATM's nearby.

The only problem I encountered was when First Union took over First Pennsylvania Bank the weekend I arrived in Ireland. Before I left, First Union assured me that there would be no problem.

Then they invalidated the routing codes and made my ATM cards worthless. It cost me dearly to use a Credit Card (with pin #) effectively taking short term loans at Usurious interest rates.

I complained to First Union on my return. The Bank Officer denied there had been any problem: no compensation for expenses I incurred; not even a 'we're sorry' for your inconvenience.

So, take more than one ATM Card if you can; and if your Bank is merging with another when you plan to be in Ireland, take a Visa or Master Card that you can use at ATM's.

Old May 15th, 2005, 05:55 AM

I've never found an out of stock conditin in europe - but I'm sure they happen occasionally - just like they do here (esp on sunday night or the last day of holiday weekends). No big deal - there are always plenty of ATMs.