Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ATM Pin question - leaving Sunday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/atm-pin-question-leaving-sunday-646645/)

Lisa2464 Sep 14th, 2006 06:08 PM

ATM Pin question - leaving Sunday

I have been reading about ATM pin numbers in Ireland and am getting a bit concerned as I leave for Ireland this Sunday. I have a 6 digit ATM pin number -will it work? Doe the ATMs in Ireland only accept 4 digit pin numbers. I am very concerned that I will get stuck without access to money and my bank was of no help.

GBC Sep 14th, 2006 06:26 PM

Hi Lisa2464,
I know that a four digit(no letters) pin number will work. I am almost certain that a six digit pin will not work. I hope that you can quickly get your bank to establish a new four digit pin for you.

progol Sep 14th, 2006 06:27 PM

I think most ATMs in Europe use 4-digits only. Why not change it at your bank to be on the safe side? I did it several years ago prior to a trip and had no problem changing it.

Paule

Trophywife007 Sep 14th, 2006 07:35 PM

I've used a BoA ATM card with a six digit PIN (in the UK and Ireland as well as other countries) and can't remember encountering any persistent problems. If you have a problem at an ATM, try another one.

Hopefully this is not your only source for getting cash? If all else fails, perhaps you could use your credit card as a last resort...

Do report back and let us know how your trip goes.

xyz123 Sep 14th, 2006 09:24 PM

Once upon a time, long long ago, 4 digit PIN numbers were usually required by European ATM's.

That is no longer the case...your PIN will work.

lifes2short Sep 15th, 2006 03:50 AM

Lisa--I had the same question, since B of A required a 6-digit pin at the time I got my ATM card. [ this may have only been a requirement for customers who were formerly with Fleet Bank, which I was ] I spoke with a BoA branch rep recently about using my card in France, & he assured me that using only the first 4 digits will work in the ATMs there. Bon voyage !

Celticharper Sep 15th, 2006 05:32 AM

I agree with Lifes2short. we came upon the same problem with some friends in France. No matter what amount of money we asked for he kept getting only 2o€. We finally figured out that it was signing in on the first 4 digits of the pin and giving him what he asked for with the next number, since the fifth number in his pin was 2 he would always get 20€.

When he signed in with only the first 4 digits he had no problem getting his funds. We certainly had a laugh on ourselves over that one.

skye2006 Sep 15th, 2006 05:42 AM

I know from experience that the only pin you can trust is a 4 digit pin. This year several members in my group were not able to use their cards because of 5 digit pins. Change it to a 4 to be safe.

suze Sep 15th, 2006 06:18 AM

I have read here on the forum that using the first 4 digits only, of a 6 digit pin worked (rumor has it).

In your shoes, I would definitely have some other sources of funds (carry some cash? buy currency ahead?).

sundowner Sep 15th, 2006 06:30 AM

My bank doesn't have 4 digit pins. But the ATM's affiliated with my bank were few and far between (in Italy but I imagine I would have found the same thing all over Europe). We spent a great deal of time finding ATM's that we could use. I will not make that mistake again (I'll have an account at a bank that is common).

Since today is the last banking day before you leave, you don't have much time to figure it out. I also wouldn't rely on any info given to you by your bank because often they are wrong. I would be sure to have at least 2 different credit cards (not amex or disc) and plenty of cash just in case.

Celticharper Sep 15th, 2006 06:59 AM

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Using only the first 4 digits of a 6 digit pin did work for us at all the ATM's that we used in France.

altamiro Sep 15th, 2006 08:52 AM

I have no idea about American debit cards, but most Swiss debit/ATM cards come with 6 digit PIN (incuding mine) and I was able to use it all over Europe (though this does not include Ireland). You would have to enter a whole PIN, not just "the first 4 digits".

laartista Sep 15th, 2006 08:55 AM

I used the first 4 digits of a 6 number pin from my B of A in Dublin 2 years ago. No problems.

lucielou Sep 16th, 2006 08:19 AM

Not sure about all of Europe but here in Ireland its 4 digits and I know france spain and italy are the same.

Lisa2464 Sep 16th, 2006 02:35 PM

Thank you!! Everyone here is always so helpful!!! I appreciate your input and will let you know what happens when I get back!!