Search

ATM PIN in France & Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM PIN in France & Italy

Hi all,

In many guidebooks that I read, they always say that Europe ATM machines only accept 4 digits PIN number.

Is that still the current case? Or can the ATM machine accept cards with longer digits now?

The thing is that my ATM cards (as all ATM cards in Singapore) has 5 digits PIN number. And as it is required by Singapore law, the banks can't change it to 4 digits.

So, my concern is, will I encounter any problem drawing money from ATM machines in France (Paris, Nice) and Italy (Rome)?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM

You are correct you may well encounter problems.

Contact your issuing bank to set up the 4 digit PIN notify them of your travel dates and max daily withdrawal amount.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:25 AM

My US bank card has a 4-digit PIN and my Italian bank card has a 5-digit PIN. Both of them work in the same ATM machines, so you should not have any problem with your 5-digit PIN.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 05:46 AM

Forgive me, but it saves typing!

My UK bank card has a 4-digit PIN and my Italian bank card has a 5-digit PIN. Both of them work in the same ATM machines, so you should not have any problem with your 5-digit PIN.

Peter
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

I did call my bank. And the customer service told me that there is no way the PIN can be reduced to 4 digits. She said, however, after checking with her manager, that the 5 digit PIN ATM card can be used in the 4 digit PIN ATM machine. She said the machine will still ask for the 5th digit. But I don't really believe what she said, as they probably are assuming, instead of saying from experience.

Therefore, I ask this here because I am sure someone here must have had experience in this regard.

So, as mentioned by DonnaD44 and A_Brit_In_Ischia, Italian machine is fine as their Italian ATM card use 5 digit PIN as well. But what about France ATM machine and card? Will France ATM machine accept/request for the 5th digit?
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Just back from Paris and no issue with my my 4 digit PIN ATM code. We always contact our banks and credit card issuer with travel dats and have had no problems. I know of know need for a 5 digit PIN in France for ATM card.

That goes for our credit cards...no problems and we don't have a chip and PIN card. I only encountered it once at a pharmacy but the clerk figured out quickly that I would have to sign instead of print a recipt
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 02:59 PM

don't know if this is available in Singapore but you might check out one of those Mastercard/visas that you pre-load with funds?

Other than that it may be one situation where it makes sense to get travelers checks.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM

The 4 pin only myth seems to perpetuate itself almost everywhere. I have read it in guide books by uninformed authors who really have never tried it themselves. The idea that your ATM card must have 4 pins to be accepted is false. I have seen 6 pin ATM cards used frequently in France and have not read one verifiable report to the contrary.

If some carrying a 5 or 6 pin card actually fins an ATM which will not accept it, simply try a different machine.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM

"If some carrying a 5 or 6 pin card actually fins an ATM which will not accept it, simply try a different machine."

Indeed - and, in that unlikely event, they might also post the details here.... so we can harrangue the bank concerned into changing their system and end this once and for all?

Peter