Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ATM pin in Austria, Czech, Hungary and Polland

Old May 24th, 2002, 07:16 AM
james

Hi,

I'm worried over the six digit Vs four digit PIN for ATMs in the above countries. I called HSBC in my home branch(Singapore), they said the six digits should work. Better to be safe than sorry, I would be obliged if anyone have used ATMs in those countries care to advise.

Would six digit works? Do I get to select savings/credit card account if both shares the same card??

Thanks!

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:47 AM
james

anyone care to comment pls...

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Leslie

I can only give you answers for Prague (November 2001) and Budapest (March 2002), where I used my debit cards. I have a four digit PIN, and had no problem at any ATM in both cities (including the airport). Now that I think about it, I also used my debit card in Szentendre, Hungary and had no problem.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:07 AM
mark

I bank with Citibank and they have a branch in Budapest. While in Vienna I used various atms - I have 4 digit pin - and had no problem. From what I've read here it's better to have a 4 digit pin.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Joe

james: I have used my ATM card all over Hungary, the Czeck Republic and Austria. I have a four digit pin and I would advise you to change your pin to four digits; easy to do. Contact your bank. I will use the same ATM card in Poland this summer and have been advised by two Polish Citizens, that I will have no problems. Do memorize your pin in numbers not letters as many ATM keyboards have no letters; e.g., memorize "rats" as "7287". Once you have established your four digit pin, look at your telephone keypad to obtain the corresponding numbers. Good luck.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:19 AM
james

Question: I have six digits PIN, and the bank does not allow me to change to four digits.

Would six digit PINs work in those countries????? I know four digits would.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Leslie

James, on the back of your debit card, you should have a choice of networks, eg.: PLUS, TX, The Exchange, NYCE, VISA, etc. If you have at least PLUS and VISA on the back of your card, then it shouldn't make any difference how many digits are in your PIN Number -- at least that's what my bank manager has told me.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Leslie

Oops, forgot to say that when you go to the ATM machine, you need to match up the networks to the one's on your debit card. For example, if the ATM accepts VISA and NYCE, but you only have PLUS, then the card won't be accepted. However, if they match, then you should be able to use your ATM/debit card for a withdrawal no matter how many digits your PIN No. is.

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:09 AM
james

Shall I take it as six digits PIN will def work in those countries??

any other care to comment pls...

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Duh

ASK YOUR BANK

Old May 29th, 2002, 06:05 AM
james

My bank is in Singapore. They said it should be fine. The travel guidebook said otherwise. I guess the most accurate information will be those that who used the ATMS in those countries before.

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:25 AM
james

anyone cares to help...please...

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:27 PM
james

Help! Help!

Any Austrian, Hungarian or Czechs care to comment please....

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Art

James, I used my ATM card easily in Hungary, Czeck Republic and most recently in Poland and Austria with no problems. I know that some people have used their 6 digit pins in Italy bu entering the last 4 digits. Do not know about the others. To be save, I would open an account at another bank that would give you a 4 digit pin for your trip. Better safe than sorry. You could always close the account upon your return.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM
james

Hi Art,

"I used my ATM card easily in Hungary, Czeck Republic and most recently in Poland and Austria with no problems."

How long was your PIN. Is it more than four digits???? Pls advise.

Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Dick Yeager

James,

Another part of your question dealt with a choice of accounts to withdraw from. In my recent experience in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France, it is strictly from you checking account.

Some of the hotels have internet access, or you can go to an internet cafe to access your account information and move money from savings to checking when necessary.

Be warned, you are encouraged to use a credit card as much as possible, but you will probably also use more cash than you estimated.

Dick

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:35 AM
james

My only question thus far:

Would six digit PIN work???

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Jimbo

James

I've used bank machines in Poland who accept PINs of varying length, i.e. you have to tell it when you've finished, so I presume that they're compatible with 6 digits. However, I haven't tried it first hand.., so probably no use to you! You could always just get cash advances from Exchanges and face up to the 5% (or more) commission plus dodgy exchange rates...!! Good luck!