ATM in Salzburg Main Train Station

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 08:17 AM
Bob Brown

ATM in Salzburg Main Train Station

If any of you know for sure that there is an ATM in the Salzburg Hauptbahnhof, please tell me where it is located. We will be arriving at night, and I will need some Austrian schillings, unless cab drivers take American money on a reasonable basis!!

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 04:16 AM
Paige

Yes, there is one. It's close to the information booth on street level, close to tracks. I believe there's also a money changer machine next to it (it takes your dollars and spits out schillings). The station is fairly small so you shouldn't have a hard time finding it.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 07:19 AM
greg

Bob,
Yes there is an ATM. The street level is below the platform level, down stairs. If you have to change the cash, there is a automatic cash changer at platform level, at least for the train from Zurich and manned exchange booth downstairs. You get better rate at automatic changer, ...if the machine does not reject your bill.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 09:55 AM
Bob Brown

Much obliged for the info. I plan on showing up with a few dollars in my pocket and my trusty ATM card.
Buying Austrian currency here in the uSA through Bank of America yields a poor return. I would like to avoid acquiring $500 in Austrian Schillings before I leave. So if there are some of those little card gadgets available, it will solve my problem.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 04:37 AM
Bob

Yes it will cost more to buy Schillings in the U.S. But I have found that having a couple of hundred in Schillings is a lot easier than having to find an ATM before you can even get to your hotel.

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 05:12 AM
Bob Brown

Again, thanks for the information.
I will have French currency in my pocket when I land in Paris. I had debated about acquiring Austrian schillings.
But I will be in Switzerland before I go to Austria, so that will be another opportunity to acquire the necessary currency. Even so, the best rates of exchange seem to come from the ATM machines. Last year in Canada and Europe, I checked my bank statement and figured that the exchange rates I got were very close to the bank wholesale rate, which is about the best we can do on conversions under $1 million.
A thought just struck me. We will take the train from Zurich to Salzburg. It is a long ride, so I am sure we will visit the refreshment car enroute. So I might need Austrian money before I get to Salzburg. Last year, however, when we took the train from Paris to Lausanne, the attendant manning the refreshment counter would take any major currency. We had spent all of our French money before we got on the train, so my wife used a few US dollars to make her purchase.
I am not sure how much she got clipped on the exchange rate, but it was not much. You expect to pay inflated prices on the train anyhow.