ATM fees in Europe?

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 08:34 PM
astro

ATM fees in Europe?

Hello,
I'm going to be in London, Amsterdam and Berlin and I was wondering about ATM fees? Here in NYC, if you withdraw money from a bank other than your own, you get charged $1-$1.50 for the "convenience"...This is something I try to avoid. Do they do this in Europe?

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 08:45 PM
CityMouse

Yes, in my experience, they do. In addition to the fee charged by the overseas bank, you may also be dinged by your own bank for those transactions (in my case, my bank charges $3 per transaction).

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Marla

Try to use a debit card if you have one. Before we went to Switzerland and Paris, I called the toll-free number for my three cards. The two standard issue Visa cards were expensive --- per transaction fee and % of dollars. The debit card charged us $1 or $2 each time --- no percentage! Different cards also have a maximum amount you can withdraw per withdrawel and per day. Moral of the story, call your credit card company!

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Elizabeth

Hi Astro
In my experience the previous post is a good start. Definitely find out how much your own bank might charge. You might also consider finding out what your VISA/Mastercard charges for purchase transaction, in case you will be using those for direct purchases. My husband's bank VISA wanted to charge an additional 2% fee on top of the fee of 1-2% that VISA international charges. My banks(2) do not charge anything additional.
When we were in London, Canterbury, Brugge, Germany(Mosel region), Southern Netherlands and Amsterdam, we never encounter a ATM fee, but we also always used a debit card.
I don't think the European banks are as big on extra fees as we are. I live in the San Francisco bay area, and I can't find a bank(were I don't have an account) that doesn't charge an ATM usage fee, even through my credit union. That really stinks!

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Elizabeth

I just wanted to make clear that NO, we were never charge a ATM usage fee during our trip. (Refer to previous post for locations)