Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ATM cards in Spain - need chip or not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/atm-cards-in-spain-need-chip-or-not-1038929/)

zola Feb 28th, 2015 11:24 AM

ATM cards in Spain - need chip or not?

There have been, I know, several threads dealing with the use of ATMs in Europe. I am merely looking for the most up-to-date info regarding their use in Spain. My question is:

Can ATM debit/cash cards WITHOUT a chip still be used successfully to withdraw cash from bank ATMs in Spain, particularly Barcelona and Madrid? I would appreciate reply posts from those who have recent experience specifically with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Dukey1 Feb 28th, 2015 01:43 PM

I have never had any trouble using a bank debit/ATM card with the usual strip in ANY ATM anywhere in Europe. That strip is encoded with the necessary information to include your PIN.

If ATMs in Europe are now requiring bank cards that are impregnated with a chip this is a MAJOR change.

PalenQ Feb 28th, 2015 02:05 PM

No it's only autmatic machines TMK that sometimes and more and more often need some security strip many of our cards do not but you can ask your issuer for them I hear.

Me too have never ever had a roblem using my ATM cards in any ATM in Europe - at least not due to the card's fault - though some ATMs may be more sensitive than those back home - I had an ATM card with a rather worn magnetic strip and it would not always work because I think of the condition of the strip - make sure you ATM card is in pristine position and call your issuers before leaving and tell them exactly what countries you may be using it in and say no other countries - to block the at times mysterious ATM withdrawals say coming in from Romania! Some thieves supposedly atach devices to the exterior of the ATM to read you card and PIN number - ber careful of anyone standing close enough to see your transaction - some prefer to go into a bank because of this but I've never in zillions of times been victim of fraud.

If you do not tell you issuing bank you are going say to Poland they may block charges from Poland as a security measure - so always inform them of what countries you want to be able to use it in.

zola Feb 28th, 2015 02:12 PM

Dukey and PalenQ:

Yes, I've never had a problem with withdrawals in Europe either, but I have seen posts complaining about some banks switching over.
-BUT-
More to the point --> So, either or both of you have used the card successfully for recent withdrawals in Spain??
Z.

DebitNM Feb 28th, 2015 02:44 PM

We used 3 different ATM/debit cards in both Barcelona and Madrid in December with no issues. {and in many other countries on that trip as well}

Alec Feb 28th, 2015 03:18 PM

Just to beware that dynamic currency conversion is quite common in Spain, and when you are asked to chose Euro or Dollar, always choose Euro (local currency). Often Euro button is much smaller than Dollar button (the Spanish bank will make a profit from your transaction if you choose $) so watch out.

DebitNM Feb 28th, 2015 03:38 PM

I meant to say that none of our ATM/debit cards have chips.

And to add onto Alec's comment, never get cash with credit card unless it's your absolute only means to do so. Fees and high interest that starts compounding immediately; along with foreign transaction fee makes it for emergency only.

emily71 Feb 28th, 2015 04:01 PM

I've never had issues withdrawing money from Spain-however I always call my bank and credit card company before the trip to let them know where I will be traveling so they don't deny my charges. Just like at home, I usually try to go to a bank attached ATM and look to see if anything looks wrong.

Dukey1 Feb 28th, 2015 04:28 PM

I have yet to have my home bank deny any ATM withdrawal. OTOH there IS often a daily limit to the amount of cash you CAN withdraw and that usually also includes when you are at home.

zola Mar 1st, 2015 07:16 AM

Everyone:
Thank you for your sincere replies and tips for using ATMs. Just to let you know:
-- I have always called my bank before I leave to ensure that my withdrawals will not be denied, and I then also get an idea what my daily withdrawal limit will be.
-- I only withdraw Euros from ATMs in Europe. I take enough $ with me ahead of time. No need to create needless problems.
-- I never use my credit card to get cash.

My inquiry was generated by a few blogs and posts I had seen indicating that some ATMS in Europe were now requiring ATM/debit cards with chips and another that said European ATMs were denying bank cards that had formerly been accepted. I was skeptical, but since Spain just happens to be one of the European countries I haven't yet visited, I thought it best to investigate the situation before I leave.

I knew I could rely on you good Fodor Forum contributors to provide an accurate picture. I hope that I can return the favor sometime. Muchas gracias. Z.