ATM cards in ITALY

Apr 30th, 2001, 06:12 PM
ann

ATM cards in ITALY

hello! i am going on a trip to italy and i would like to use my ATM card there, but i am not sure how common it is in italy to find an ATM that accepts the Cirrus or Maestro signs? my ATM card doesnt have mastercard on it, so i dont want to find out when i am there that no one accepts my card! that would be quite frustrating, to say the least! ANY INFO PLEASE RESPOND!!!!!!!!
thanks, ann

Apr 30th, 2001, 07:55 PM
gb

I used my ATM Cirrus all over Italy. It worked fine in all but one city. However, I had hoped to get money at the Milan airport, only to find the airport ATM was empty. We were driving to Venice from Milan. Made 4 stops at restaurants on the highway to Venice, and those ATM's were empty also. Finally, in Venice, we went to an ATM outside a bank and got money. So plan accordingly.

Apr 30th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Rossa

hi
My atm card worked well all over Italy, including small towns in sicily ( this was last week) the only times it didnt it wasnt that the machine that was empty but my account.!
I did however keep a small amount of us $ travellers cheques as an emergency fund,I ended up spending them at the duty free in Rome

May 1st, 2001, 06:13 AM
Howard

You'll have absolutely no problem finding ATMs in Italy. And, the vast majority offer instructions in English. If you happen to come across one of the few that don't give instructions in English, just press the "annulla" button to get your card back and go to another machine.

May 1st, 2001, 06:29 AM
cmt

It depends where. In 1997 there were loads of them in Florence and Siena, and in other medium sized towns in Tuscany, e.g., Cortona, Pienza. In Sicily last year, I think I saw them or used them in Lipari and Taormina and in the airports in Catania and Palermo. I saw them, but didn't attempt to use them, in Palermo. I didn't notice them in Ragusa, Volcano, Salina, Capo d'Orlando and Aci Trezza, but didn't really look and suspect they were probably present, but I was able to pay by Visa in some of those places. In the really small town (lovely but NOT a tourist destination) I visited there were definitely no ATMs and the agriturismo I stayed in didn't even take credit cards! (But the owner would have taken a personal check from a bank in USA if I hadn't come up with enough cash).

May 1st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Peter

ATMs in Italy? No problem in the major cities, plus their the best for quick cash at a decent exchange rate.
Use your credit card where you can, but a lot of the smaller inns and restaurants prefer, or only take, cash. (FYI: Some merchants who take credit cards will give you a discount if you pay in cash.)

May 1st, 2001, 08:33 AM
LIZ

If you have an ATM card for a savings account (without checking), it may not work. This happened to me last summer in Italy, even after my credit union promised me otherwise.

May 1st, 2001, 08:38 AM
kate

Hi All,

For ATM's in Italy, I've been told that your PIN needs to be a 4 digit numeric. I remember having an experience in Denmark(?) Cananda(?) where even though my PIN was all letters I remembered the corresponding numbers and it worked. Anyone have any similar experience with that?

Thanks,

Kate in Boston

May 1st, 2001, 10:54 AM
Diane

Does anyone know if there a currency exchange at the airport in Philadelphia? Hearing of empty ATMs at airports in Italy makes me think we may want to bring enough currency to get through the first day...I think I remember an exchange desk at Dulles airport, but this time we're leaving from Philly....

May 1st, 2001, 10:56 AM
xxx

I always buy a starter supply of foreign currency at a local American Express branch. (Anyone can do this. You don't need an American Express car.)