Search

ATm card hooked to savings account

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:29 AM
DCB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATm card hooked to savings account

I will be traveling to Spain. I have an Atm card from Wachovia that is hooked to my savings account. Is it difficult to use this card in Spain on their ATMs?
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:49 AM

I can't talk about Spain but my Bank of America card linked to my checking account has never failed to work during my 6 trips to Holland.

It has the Plus, Star, and Interlink symbols on the back.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM

From everything I've ever read, you need to have the funds in a checking account, NOT savings. Just be glad to you checked before leaving so you have time to move the money!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:57 AM

You need to have your <i>checking acct</i> be the primary account. ATMs in Europe do not offer a choice. The card itself should work fine (Visa or M/C logo).
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:23 AM
MaureenB

We found out the hard way while in London-- your ATM card has to be linked to your checking account, since you won't have the option of selecting &quot;savings account&quot; at the ATM, so it will deny your request. And make sure your ATM card has one of the universally accepted logos, like the Visa Plus on it.

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I never knew the reason, but have always heard... ATM card linked to checking account with 4 digit numerical pin for travel in Europe.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:36 AM

In theory, if the atm card is linked to a savings account and if the savings account is the primary and only account on the card, the answer should be yes.

But not I said in theory and the answer should be. Cannot guarantee it will work as some have reported difficulties but then again am not sure if those who are reporting difficulties understand what it means to have the primary account as the savings account!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
MaureenB

Yes, our primary account was the savings account, and the ATM card did NOT work. I had to call our credit union, open a checking account on the same ATM card, and move the money into it. Good thing my credit union knows me and took care of it via phone that same day-- or we would have been out of cash in London real quick!

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:06 PM

This past spring my parents had ATM card linked to savings account which would NOT work at any ATM machines in Spain.

You have received good advice to have the card linked to the checking account. Otherwise, you'll be SOL.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 02:23 PM

My daughter has had an ATM card for three years that is linked only to a savings acccount. It has worked fine everywhere we've been in the USA and France.

My own ATM card is linked to my checking account, and then secondarily to my savings account; in case the checking account is ever depleted, the funds come out of the savings account. Since I've never had a situation where the checking account was depleted, though, I can't tell you whether that works.

But my daughter's ATM works fine, linked to the savings account.

I think you just ask your bank to link it to whatever you want it to - at least that's what I did and it works fine.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM

Hi

We have just returned from Spain and used an ATM card linked to a savings account. I might add that this was all it was linked to (we also have a seperate, unlinked VISA card) so this might explain why we never encountered problems. Just make sure your card has the Maestro and Cirrus symbols and the ATM you are withdrawing money from displays these symbols - these are everywhere in Europe, we never had a problem. Also make sure you inform your bank prior to departure that you will be using your card/s in Spain (I think this is maninly for security purposes).

Cheers
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:44 AM

Unless I had a backup ATM card or credit card with ATM access, I wouldn't take a chance overseas with an ATM card tied to the savings account, given all I've read here.