ATM at CDG Airport in Paris

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 06:34 PM
Mary

ATM at CDG Airport in Paris

Are there ATM's at the airport in Paris and are they convenient? Or are we better off taking at least $100 from home to last us until we get into the city? I know using the ATM has a better rate, but if it is going to be a hassle to find one at the airport, I would rather not start my trip off on a bad note! Thanks for any advice.

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 06:42 AM
joelle

There are several ATM's at CDG airport, as well as banks. I would suggest you take a Visa card along, as this will be the easiest way to withdraw cash in France.

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 06:07 PM
Sharon F.

There were ATM machines all over Paris as well. There is also a Currency Exchange at CDG and I simply used my credit card to initially have some french currency. THe exchange rate was very good at the Currency Exchange "window" as was the ATM rate! I did try to charge as much as possible in Paris, but found a number of places did not accept credit cards! Have a wonderful trip!! Sharon

Old Jan 28th, 1998, 10:41 PM
Joyce

I strongly disagree with Joelle's advice to obtain cash with your Visa card. Granted, it can be done, but most all of the issuing banks are now charging exorbitant fees. Between 2 and 3%25 of amount withdrawn, some with a minimum of $10. That's per transaction. Your regular ATM card from your local bank usually charges only $1.00 and no interest, whereas your Visa bank will be charging you interest from date of withdrawal on top of the previously mentioned fee. Check the very, very fine print on the back of your latest Visa statement or call the issuing bank for rates. As Sharon stated, there are regular ATM machines at CDG airport. We found ATM machines absolutely all over France and we never spent U.S. dollars. Almost every place, even tourist kiosks, took Visa. Of course there were a few which didn't, but that's why you use your home bank ATM card for French francs.

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 01:22 AM
joelle

Being French, I still maintain that cash withdrawals with Visa are better in terms of exchange rate. I know there is a commission (a fixed one in France) being charged on each withdrawal but this is a better bargain than actually exchanging cash. On the other hand, withdrawals at Amex cash points are a lot more expensive. This issue has to be checked with your bank as regulations may wary from one country to another and from one bank to another.

Old Jan 29th, 1998, 08:43 AM
Leslie

Sorry Joelle, but you're just wrong on this one. Americans all have cash cards issued by their personal banks... and this is the *only* way to get money in a foreign country. We get charged about $1.50 by our banks, whereas VISA charges an exorbitant fee to withdraw cash. VISA cards are okay to use to pay for a hotel room or in a restaurant... but *not* to get cash!

Old Jan 30th, 1998, 02:01 AM
Judy

We just got back from Paris. I didn't look for ATM machines at CDG because we stupidly got $200.00 worth of francs from the bank that owns the travel agency in which I work. The exchange rate was around five FRF to one USD. After that, I used my bank ATM card to obtain cash at the rate of 6.06 FRF . Quite a difference! It appears that when I used my debit card as a credit card, I got a bit higher rate...6.13...but certainly not significantly high enough to justify using a credit card for cash!