Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ATM Alert-Please Read! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/atm-alert-please-read-207939/)

Mary Apr 27th, 2002 01:41 PM

ATM Alert-Please Read!

WATCH THOSE DEBIT CARDS! I use to have the kind with the Visa logo and when my wallet was stollen, the thieves went to town! It took me so long and such a hassle to sort through it all. The money is immediately withdrawn from your account and you could be wiped out before you even know your card is gone. You can find yourself with a "0" balance in your checking account, like I did! I changed my card and now DO NOT have the Visa logo and my ATM works perfectly everywhere....only difference is that now a 4 digit PIN is required so if my card were ever stollen again, the thieves couldn't use it because they wouldn't know the PIN. What a terrible way to learn my lesson....just want others to be aware that if it has the Visa/Mastercard logo, it only takes a swipe....no PIN required! Make sure you get one that requires a PIN and doesn't have the Visa/Mastercard logo!!

anon Apr 27th, 2002 02:08 PM

Just don't sign it !!! Write for Atm USE ONLY all over it in indelible marker!

Sid Apr 27th, 2002 02:14 PM

Yes, I will vouch for it only requiring a swipe. I accidently grabbed my daughter's ATM with the logo and used it to get gas. I just swiped it and filled up my tank. I only realized I had used her card after I got home. Trust me....no one at the gas station ran out to look at the card or any signature. I can see how this could be a tragedy and ruin an otherwise great vacation. So sorry Mary but thanks for giving us a heads up on something we may not have ever considered.<BR>A lost credit card is completely different because you have a chance to see the bill before you pay the bill in case you want to dispute a charge. With a Debit card, you don't have this luxury. Good information Mary. Thanks, Sid

xxx Apr 27th, 2002 03:09 PM

Miss Mary,<BR>So sorry to hear of your misfortune! I'd better look into this because like so many, I have the mastercard logo on my ATM card. I didn't order it this way, it just arrived this way. Does this mean I'm protected or what??

Sid Apr 27th, 2002 03:33 PM

Hey xxx.xxx, <BR>why would you have anymore protection from thieves wiping out your account than the rest of us? As far as i know, (at least in my case) I never requesed the logo either. This is a bank thing.

xxx Apr 27th, 2002 03:47 PM

A gas station is just about the only place you don't have to present your card for verification or swiping. even groceries ask to see the card if you swipe it yourself. How much gas or petrol could someone but to wipe out your acount?

mike Apr 27th, 2002 03:58 PM

clarifications:<BR>debit with visa/mastercard logo: debit banking card for cash withdrawal and purchases where places accept visa/mc<BR><BR>debit atm card: normally issued by your bank strictly for atm money withdrawal and other account related activities<BR><BR>perhaps my experience might persuade others NOT to use or sign up for debit banking cards..incidentally, one day when i was withdrawing cash from the atm i noticed a shortfall of about a grand..turns out someone made a big purchase from an online company using the debit card even though i have never made a purchase anywhere before; the acct number was obtained apparently with an aid of a computer thru 'number rolling.'...as far as i know, if you use these card in gas stations or online purchases there are no extra precautions like the pin requirement..you literally use it just like a credit card except you're not in the position to dispute a charge simply by refusing to pay...the bank issuance has the right to investigate for 2-3 wks all the while you will not have access to your money (though the bank may allow a 'temporary loan' under duress)...i read from a recent news article that while consumers are protected from fraud exceeding $50, no such laws exist for debit card holders...<BR><BR>chances are if the transactions are indeed fraudualent, you would be able to recover most if not all your money eventually but imagine the major inconveniences like filing paperwork and lack of access to your own money...<BR><BR>take-home lession: the transaction that occurred to me was flagged down by the company who handled the order (probably because the order went to some name like troy mcclure or monty burns); so the responsibility lies within the company to be diligent about checking your name and billing address but seriously, how good of a job will/can they do? most banks will push their customers to a debit banking card but the bottom line is, you should stick with a plain atm card to withdraw cash; the only pros for getting these banking cards are people who wish to exercise financial restraints (ie., not spending beyond their means) but i think all the fodorites know about that :)

Tom Apr 27th, 2002 04:11 PM

There is a man on the radio (his name escapes me) but he calls the debit cards "fake credit cards" and has advised everyone against them. My wife and I changed ours from a Debit card to a straight ATM card over a year ago after hearing his show and reading other alarming stories such as Mary's. The merchants are probably suppose to check ID but many don't....or they have fake ID's made. There are stories of large purchases such as computers, TV's, furniture etc. aside from internet purchases. Now with my ATM (which does require the PIN) I still use it often for purchases and my wife uses hers for all our groceries, the mall, even at the pharmacy for perscriptions etc. I really haven't noticed any difference between using the ATM for purchases as to when I had the Debit card. I just feel a whole lot safer! As for internet purchases, most people have a credit card anyway that they could use. I agree, the very safest is to have it has an ATM card only primarily used for cash withdrawls from an ATM machine. This would be a terrible thing to happen if you were overseas because even if your spouse still had their card, assuming you had a joint account....your checking account would still be wiped out. I believe there will someday be legislature against debit cards due to this type of risk. Unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon. Tom

Suzie Apr 27th, 2002 04:28 PM

Thanks for all this information! I'm going to France in 2 weeks and had planned to have plenty of money in my checking account and take my debit card. Now I don't think I'll take it, unless I can get a new ATM card without the Visa logo,in time for my trip. Alot of places where I use my credit cards ask to see the card, but hardly ever for any other ID. I'm very grateful for this information from you all.

Kiki Apr 27th, 2002 04:43 PM

They've had shows on TV (Dateline, 20/20 type)informing people to get rid of these dreadful Debit cards. My daughter's roommate had saved for years to go to Europe after her college graduation. She had her debit card stolen in Spain. She realized it that evening but it was already too late. She had over $5,000 taken out of her checking account within 18 hours by the time it was reported back to the bank in USA(time change plus it was a Sunday). The thieves did some serious shopping FAST, buying computers and electronics. Long story short, she had to cut her Europe trip short by 3 weeks. We got rid of ours immediately after this happened....now sleep better at night!

Kay Apr 27th, 2002 04:49 PM

Thanks Mary, Due to others like yourself warning fellow Fodorites, I asked my Bank for an ATM card for my trip. I had an ATM Debit card. My bank was able to issue it while I waited, so if you need just an ATM card, just go to your bank and pick one up. Be sure to tell them how much you want to be able to withdraw a day, because they usually put a low limit $300 or so if you don't ask for a higher withdrawal limit. I also have an AX Platinum card which debits my checking account that I take as a backup.

denise Apr 27th, 2002 04:56 PM

My next door neighbor is a bank manager and she told me she wouldn't have a Debit card! I'm glad they're trying to make the public aware of this on TV. My neighbor bank manager also made a good suggestion that when traveling overseas (or away from your home bank) take an extra ATM card in case one is either demagnatized or stollen (since requiring a PIN won't ruin your trip). It makes good sense huh?

Carrie Apr 27th, 2002 09:08 PM

You certainly opened my eyes. Something I'd never considered or thought about...guess my head was in the sand. Thanks for making me and others aware! Carrie

ThatsIT! Apr 28th, 2002 05:43 AM

Well that's enough for me. I am cancelling the whole dammned trip. Can't take a debit card 'cuz somebody might steal it and drain my checking account before I can call home, can't use a credit card at an ATM because the interest accrues imediately, can't take travellers checks 'cuz they are passe and frowned upon, can't buy foreign currency before leaving 'cuz you get raped by the exchnge rates and up front fees and/or I might get pickpocketed or robbed, can't take USD 'cuz, well don't even bring that one up here. Maybe I should just take a cardboard sign that says "WILL WORK FOR GNOCCHI AND A GOOD CHIANTI."

traveler Apr 28th, 2002 06:53 AM

Cute! I say go on your trip and have a great time....just change your ATM card first to require the pin number.

Jeff Apr 28th, 2002 07:21 AM

Just to clarify some terms here:<BR><BR>A debit card is a card containing the Visa or MasterCard logo. It can be used as an ATM card which requires use of a PIN, it can be used at Point of Sale (POS) terminals which require a PIN number or it can be used as sort of a credit card. To the merchant it is a credit card....they don't require a PIN number but rather a signature on an invoice. In theory, the merchant is supposed to check the signature against the signature on the card. In the US, more and more, merchants do not bother to check the signatures. In England, merchants very carefully at least look at the signature. Whether they examine it that closely or not is open to some question. These are the kind of cards that folks are having trouble with.<BR><BR>ATM cards do not contain the Visa or MC logo. They may contain the logo of Cirrus or Plus or Maestro. They can be used in ATM's or POS terminals. They always require a PIN number.<BR><BR>Interestingly enough, in some of the British newspapers, credit card crime has become some prevelent that it is thought that within several years all transactions, at least in Britain, will require use of a PIN number even credit card transactions.<BR><BR>There is little you can do about credit card fraud. Every time you hand over your credit card, your number can be compromised by a clerk or waiter. If it is a credit card, you are never out the money. A debit card, well eventually you will get your money back, but it can be disconcerting.<BR><BR>Debit cards are, however, very handy. The situation that was described is extremely unfortunate and it happens. Whether that means one should absolutely unqeustionably shun the use of debit cards is open to discussion. Sometimes their convenience outweighs the minimal risk..<BR><BR>Just some food for thought.

jill Apr 28th, 2002 07:32 AM

I just read this thread and am concerned. No less than 1 hour ago I bought over $100 groceries, received $20 cash back and never had to enter any pin number. I guess this is what Jeff refers to as a Point of Sale (POS). I swiped the card through the "thingy" at the register and no one asked to see the card, let alone any identification. I could have just found this card lying in the parking lot for all they know (or don't know)Hmmmmmm. Me thinks me needs to contact my bank about this!

John Apr 28th, 2002 08:39 AM

Tom, The radio host's name is Clark Howard. He's preached against these "fake credit cards" (as he calls them for years). www.clarkhoward.com<BR>Got rid of mine long ago, they should be outlawed.

John Apr 28th, 2002 08:43 AM

Here is the website that spells out the dangers of the Visa/Mastercard Debit cards:<BR>http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2001/07/30.html

marcie Apr 28th, 2002 09:22 AM

Good Website John, thanks for the info. Mary did you recoup any of your lost money?