Athens to Temple of Poseidon

Apr 22nd, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Athens to Temple of Poseidon

I would like to take in a sunset at the Temple of Poseidon (Monday evening in May). What is the best way to utilize public transportation from the city of Athens to the Temple and then back. Bus? Tram? Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Its better to bite the bullet and hire a driver. It will not be cheap but worth it. Because of the distance public transport is not 100% reliable and its a hike to and from stop.
That said it is a very worth while trip and the view is outstanding. Site is pretty windy as its on high spot overlooking the sea.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping a bus or tram went out to the Temple area.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:32 AM

I visited Athens in April 2007 and took a public bus out to the Temple. The bus stop was right in front of the Temple, so I'm not sure what "hike" JoanneH is referring to. However, I'm pretty sure that the last bus back to Athens left the Temple before sunset. So unless the schedule in May is different, you will indeed need to find an alternative. There are lots of organized bus tours that go there, which I'm sure would cost less than hiring a private driver. It's quite a long drive.
Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM

I took a public bus to Poseidon last Feb when in Athens with my daughter. We picked up info from the tourist office - pick-up point and schedule. We ended up on the bus that went inland - an interesting trip - and got the coastal bus back. Time was almost the same - seem to remember around 90 minutes? Maybe less.
If you are adventurous, enjoy bus travel and have time on your hands, I recommend it. The cost was neglible. Or consider an organised tour bus. Hotels and tourist offices have info. A little more expensive ( maybe €40 per person?) but perhaps more comfortable and/or convenient.
Apr 24th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the latest info. I will check on the bus schedule. Happy travels!
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Last bus back, as of last year, was at 2100 (9 pm)... and in May sunset is not until 8:40 or so, so it will be a close thing. check w. bus driver as you get off, exactly where to stand for returning bus.

PS: a poster on THorntree noted that because everyone want to see the sunset, the place is CLOGGED with tour bus and THRONGS... he went out instead on FIrst bus in the morning... also got very good dramatic light conditions and nobody was there. Consider that option....and then u can go down to the beach & take a (chilly) dip!
Apr 24th, 2008, 10:34 PM

The two established bus tour companies in Greece, offering trips to Cape Sounion (aka Temple of Poseidon), are:

CHAT Tours
http://www.chatours.gr

Key Tours
http://www.keytours.gr

Can't recall which one I used for my 1/2 day Sounion trip couple yrs ago ...
Apr 25th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the great tips. You have given me a lot to think about. Because of YOU, my trip will be special. Thanks!
Apr 25th, 2008, 02:34 AM

I just wanted to say that my family booked an evening Bus Tour through our Hotel to The Temple of Poseidon which was directly to and return. It was reasonably priced and spectacular! The white remaining collumns against the bright blue Agean Sea, with the tremendous wind blowing was spectacular! We took a million photos!!

Enjoy!
May 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM

The Temple of Poseidon is one of the great sites in Greece--well, worth the time. I have been there three different times--all by public transportation. There is a very nice cove nearby for swimming--clothes optional! Since my last visit, there is a nice, but expensive, restaurant near the ruins. If you have the time, well worth a trip regardless how you get there.

May 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM

I did this trip last November:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34677425

The bus is fine. I took the bus from the bus stop near the Athens Archaeological Museum.